How is your cargo area organized and what do you keep back there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to make a false floor storage unit for my Expedition. I have looked at the truck vaults ($1000+) and other systems. The LL Bean unit isn't bad, but it's still over $300.

I'm not much of a craftsman when it comes to wood. Has anyone here built anything like this for the back of their Expeditions (or another vehicle)? I'd like to see some pics if you have. I have a couple ideas, but I am sure that there are better ones.

I'm also interested in what else you may have done to keep the cargo area organized and what gear you always keep in it. I know we have some off-road enthusiests on here. You guys usually have straps and chains and shovels and tools and other gear. Do you just let it all slide around in the back in a big tub from Wal-mart or is it neat and organized and secure?

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine is a family hauler and daily driver.
cheap electric air pump, a large light (also 3D mag lite in the console), bug spray, suntan lotion, rags, blanket, a few snuggies (giveaways at work, would wear only as a last resort), inverter (no idea why, but its back there), a few random tools, ratchet straps and some rope and string.
all stored on top of my husky cargo liner in some convenient framed baskets from Target.
Now when we travel with the boat or to the hunt camp - a lot more necessities go back there.
May not be what you are looking for - but thats what I have in there right now.
I will be doing some type of storage back there, but the baskets work well because I commonly roll up the cargo liner and put the seats up for extra passengers (a lot more often than I ever expected). I could take a picture, but it ain't pretty.

I had done a false floor in one of my Grand Cherokees but it was for audio and amps but still had some good storage space - but that was a different life ago.
Thanks, Mike

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a cargo area in these things? All i see are 6 10inch subs and a bunch of amps :(

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lions and tigers and bears oh my

well the third seat is in the basement so i have lots of room for a tool box, hiking boots, hiking poles, back pack full of yes hiking gear, umbrella, ball cap, small electric air pump, and some stuff that seems to have died years ago. Time for me to clean it up and organize a bit. I guess i might have time as it looks as my union brothers will go on strike this weekend.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Small tool kit, first aid kit, jumper cables...that's pretty much it. I usually keep it packed under the second row of seats; if they are folded down, I fit it all under the cover that goes over the seat hinges.

Back when my father used it as his primary work truck, he used to just take out the third row, fold down the second and fill it to the roof with tools. No special containers/boxes, although I wish he had used something--lots of scratches and nicks in the interior now. He did make a custom cargo liner for the carpet, though. But I just use a tarp now if I transport anything messy.

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Small tool kit, first aid kit, jumper cables...that's pretty much it. I usually keep it packed under the second row of seats; if they are folded down, I fit it all under the cover that goes over the seat hinges.

^^^This exactly. 95% of the time I have the third row in the truck and in use, so this is what I generally carry and how I do it.

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck is my offroad / prospecting rig and has not seen the 3rd row in over a decade. 2nd row probably coming out soon along with all the carpet.

In one large plastic container with
snap on lid is camping supplies - stove, dishes, coffee pot, etc.

In a small duffle bag next to that is my recovery gear - straps, shackles, winch, compressor, etc.

Behind the front seats, on the floor, lies 2 shovels, 40lb breaker bar, 2 sluice boxes, 2 metal detectors and a stack of 5 gal. buckets with classifiers.

Blankets, pillows and coolers along with 3 BIG dogs still fit in the very back with room to spare. Gotta love it!

Last edited:

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine is very hardcore, my 3rd row is always in the up position. Behind it is where the groceries go.......

If I am feeling a bit crazy there maybe a stroller for the kids.... :eek:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 3rd row is in the basement at my house in iowa so if i need one, i just borrow panda's! in the rear i ripped out the carpet and herculined EVERYTHING. i have a bag with emergency stuff like fuses, hose clamps, poncho, crap like that. then i have my recovery bag with straps, extra shackles (in case i need more than the 2 on the front), chain, extra hooks, and my winch remote. then i have another bag with tools and a 100-somthing piece craftsman tool set. oh, and my hi-lift jack. i will be building something similar to the truck vaults so i can have drawers for all my stuff, and a place to strap down a large spare tire. whenever i can get the time to start on it, i will take pics as i go.