How much better is the 18 vs 17.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

shell waster

Reaction score
18 recall on transmission make the 17 purchase seem better. A friend works At a dealer and told us to never buy a new model year

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do wish everyone well on the new 18s and hope they improve resale. I bought a rental 17 for a significant discount. I was looking for a used Sequoia but wow they hold their value in the used market. Same for the GMs. Add 4runners and lexus SUVs to this list. The lower tier price seemed to be Expeditions, Grand Cherokees, Durangos and Armadas. I was surprised to see that.

If the trend remains 5 years from now, I'll be looking for a creampuff 18 or 19. So please take good care of them.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM units are pretty low resale too. You can find a 3 year old top of the line Denali for around 40 grand lol, it was 80 grand just in 2015. $30s now for a Tahoe from 15-16’, which probably sold for 50-60 grand. Heavy Depreciation is a given as no one is willing to pay top dollar for a used vehicle that’s over valued to begin with. Sequoia is a very economical bargain minded vehicle when bought new if you compare the prices to ford and GM, it’s sold at a realistic price that’s not overvalued so you don’t get that huge tumble of depreciation. Plus the Toyota’s are rock solid reliable, I love ford but I admit we don’t come close.

Last edited:

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Me? I keep my cars for 8 years.

Traded in a 2010 Hoe for 20k to use towards my new Expy. Best trade in value I've ever had on anything.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eh, the only reason I'm getting rid of my 17 year old XJ Cherokee is we've out grown it with kid #4 and a 6000lb travel trailer. So, I really don't care if it depreciates to $10 the day after I drive it off the lot*, so long as I can get it to 20 years/200,000mi. *Ok, I would feel like an idiot for not buying the used one for $10... But even if it depreciates like a rock and in 3 years I could by the same truck used for $40,000 less than I pay now for this one, I really won't care. because I need a truck for this summer, not the summer when my kids are all 3 years older...

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eh, the only reason I'm getting rid of my 17 year old XJ Cherokee is we've out grown it with kid #4 and a 6000lb travel trailer. So, I really don't care if it depreciates to $10 the day after I drive it off the lot*, so long as I can get it to 20 years/200,000mi. *Ok, I would feel like an idiot for not buying the used one for $10... But even if it depreciates like a rock and in 3 years I could by the same truck used for $40,000 less than I pay now for this one, I really won't care. because I need a truck for this summer, not the summer when my kids are all 3 years older...

Well Put! Buy for what you need not for what might be in the potential future of possibility.

Last edited:

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The GM units are pretty low resale too. You can find a 3 year old top of the line Denali for around 40 grand lol, it was 80 grand just in 2015. $30s now for a Tahoe from 15-16’, which probably sold for 50-60 grand. Heavy Depreciation is a given as no one is willing to pay top dollar for a used vehicle that’s over valued to begin with. Sequoia is a very economical bargain minded vehicle when bought new if you compare the prices to ford and GM, it’s sold at a realistic price that’s not overvalued so you don’t get that huge tumble of depreciation. Plus the Toyota’s are rock solid reliable, I love ford but I admit we don’t come close.

Have to disagree on the Sequoia. It’s one crappy, lumbering beast of a vehicle. Toyotas have artificially inflated resale (Mfr. subsidized trade-in values), which is great for their customers. We test drove an ‘18 Sequoia just to keep the wife happy that we were considering all the options. Very dated overall, typical Toyota design mentality throughout, which many people do like. Lacking when it came to acceleration, maneuverability, towing, etc..

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not really concerned about depreciation either as we buy to drive for 10 years or more. Sure I could save buying used up front but you may also be getting someone else’s issues along with the 30k miles on the clock. I like being the one and only owner. That and my wife is superstitious and doesn’t like bad juju lol