How much better is the 18 vs 17.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stout

Reaction score
I recently had an 18 Limited rental. The interior is a lot nicer than my 07, although it seemed very complicated with all of the driver aids and such. I think visibility has been consistently getting worse with each redesign (having had a 02 as well). Performance and mileage were much better in the 18 than my 07.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Who rents the 18s?

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read all the responses and everyone seemed to have already made up their own mind on what defined the word "better" as asked by the OP. Is "better" a longer list of features or a bigger engine or more speeds in a gearbox? Or is it a nicer interior with softer edges? Maybe "better" is defined as a better price point?

I don't know.....I own an early-70's refrigerator...it's a very ugly Harvest Gold. Those of you old enough, know exactly what I have. It has ran for 46 years.....it continues to operate perfectly as long as I keep it's heat shedding ability up to ***** by cleaning it's coils.

A brand new non-specific new refrigerator that retails for 2,800. It has sensors for different compartments to controls temps and humidity. It will always be sure to have clean ice for me and will even tell me if it detects a problem. Heck, it will even do all this while using less electricity! A far "better" fridge right?

It has 714 parts for ONE of the front door assemblies. One of those parts, (#41) has about a 92% failure rate OUTSIDE the warranty period. The repair costs $718.00 dollars.......because the tech has to remove 480 of those 714 parts to get to #41.........how many times will an uneducated owner paying? Was this a "better" fridge?

I bought a pretty fully loaded '17 for a single guy...no dvd's or CCD...other than that, everything I think....and I paid LESS THAN 55K Out the door in MD (a 6% sales tax state). To me that's "better"...but I agree that the '18 is a more featured vehicle with a newer, higher performing engine and transmission and I would LOVE to have emergency braking.....but "better"...all depends how you define it............

I think manufacturers are putting too many option in their vehicles. Some are good, some are a pain in the ass. Rain sensing wipers, TPSM, rear stereo control. These are older items but where does it end. The newer cars have many more option and more things to go wrong.

I like the refrigerator analogy it makes a lot of sense. You know there is no way that the new refig. will last 46 years.
jeff

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Enterprise. It had 500 miles on it.:D

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

For work I’ve rented expys from Enterprise for years. It’s actually the reason I own one now. I used to book Suburbans and one time they didn’t have any when I arrived. Gave me an expy instead. Was a little pissed at first and then, after driving it a few days, thought it was pretty damn good. :D Started requesting expys after that and then a few years later, decided to get one.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For work I’ve rented expys from Enterprise for years. It’s actually the reason I own one now. I used to book Suburbans and one time they didn’t have any when I arrived. Gave me an expy instead. Was a little pissed at first and then, after driving it a few days, thought it was pretty damn good. :D Started requesting expys after that and then a few years later, decided to get one.

That s the way I caught the bug, rented a Expy Platinum in Calgary last spring for skiing trip. It was AWESOME and I have owned an '07 Tahoe LT3 and a '12 Burban LTZ

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here's an interesting comparison for you - I usually rent at least once a month to travel from PA to VA, generally same trip and route each time. December I took my 07 Expy EL, January was the new 18 Expy, and this past week was an 18 Explorer (3.5L NA V6). All were 4wd (and black incidentally). Mileage was 17 from my 07 and the '18 Expy was about 24, the Explorer was 23. Yes, the new Expy got the same (or better) mileage as the smaller Explorer.

The new Expy got better mileage than the Explorer and is a far more capable vehicle. The only downsides I see are the size (maybe) and the purchase price.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s no comparison. Your driving style could have been different at all 3 times. Weather conditions, traffic conditions etc etc etc all could have been different, leading to different results. It’s already been proven on here that the expedition can get ridiculously good gas mileage if driven a certain way

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the computers seem to be Lie-O-Meters, you have to calculate old fashioned to get a good reading unfortunately. id think an explorer should be better on gas.

Last edited:

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who rents the 18s?

Yup, I rented one from Enterprise too, about a month ago. Rented it for two weeks! After those two weeks I realized that, yes, its better.

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of the computers seem to be Lie-O-Meters, you have to calculate old fashioned to get a good reading unfortunately. id think an explorer should be better on gas.

I had a 2014 Sport, it averaged 17-18 mpg. My Expedition at its worst is 17.2 all uphill against wind in snow. I’m not sure if it’s between 10 speed transmission or the way it’s tuned (Ecoboost). There is a debate if I kept my foot in it.

The new owners of the Explorer aren’t getting 15 mpg, but they are used to the Autobahn and attempting to qualify. Eric claims he drives it like he stole it....