How tempermental is the 4R70W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red92lx

Reaction score
***Preface- I was going to post this in the transmission section, but then thought since this post is not technical and more about opinion and or common belief I figured this section was most appropriate.

So I've own a 2003 expedition for almost two years now. We have had some problems as expected, but one thing I have to say it that this truck has a big personality. LOL. The areas it excels in (comfort, utility, towing, safety) it REALLY excels in. Same for it's shortfalls.... they are also extreme (MPG and somewhat high maintenance, even for 03 & rocker/radiator rust issues). Even so, I really enjoy this truck and with only 130K i hope for many more miles.

The only thing that I fear that will cause me to throw in the towel would be transmission failure. I expect it will be too much of an investment on a 2003 rusty (even if well hidden) truck with 130K. Until recently I haven't been to worried bout this as the truck always shifted well. And if you drive conservatively I could say that it still does.

But as of late, when you get a bit more aggressive in driving style ( and with a good sounding 5.4L its hard not too) I've noticed the transmission will shift slow. It's very smooth, but it seems so slow and delayed that I'm concerned that it's the first sign of problems. For example, if I am in second gear and punch it. It will quickly drop into first and take off. It will then shift into second quickly as one would expect. But, when I ease off the gas it will stay in second longer then I would expect before up-shifting into 3rd or 4th for normal cruising. That long delay after releasing the gas is causing the concern.

This truck always shifts smooth, even if it seems to be holding the gear too long. I guess my question is two-fold. Is the 4R70W good for high mileage and does it sound like a transmission shop is in the immediate future?

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be totally wrong in assuming this, but mine does this and I always thought it was programmed to do this because if you are towing and are passing somebody you want it to stay in that passing gear invade you have to kick down on it again.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on the current transmission fluid, and how does it look? How regularly has the fluid been changed? You mention towing as an area it excels in - what exactly are you towing & how often?

Heat is the #1 killer of transmissions, so if you heavy tow regularly, live in a hilly area, or routinely pack the truck with people or stuff - transmission fluid should be changed a little more often than not. (shop power flushed or drain/fill/drive/drain/fill/drive DIY method, whichever)

GTR-34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine does the same, too.
i think you have that on almost every automatic transmission.

OP
OP
R

Red92lx

Reaction score
thanks for the replys....good to hear this seems to be common with all 4r70w's. maybe i didnt notice since i really babyied it when i first got it. as far as fluid changes, the fluid was changed not long before i got it by a shop. still looks bright red and smells good. I guess ill stop worrying about it since it seems to be programed to shift this way.

R4mbo

Reaction score
In my opinion, recent gearbox learn your driving style and the computer is causing the concern you talk about