I want to clean my motor, but I'm not sure how.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never really cleaned a motor before, but my new 2000 Expy motor is filthy. I've always been weary of hosing the motor down. What should I avoid getting water on? Or what do I need to stay away from? There is oil in a few spots and mud caked in others. I assume the power sprayer at the car wash is a bad idea. I also assume I should do it with the engine totally cold. So I guess I'll be doing this at home. Do I just take it easy with a garden hose and stay away from the alternator? Disconnect the battery?

HELP!

Knautical2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would go get some GUNK. It is made for your engine, it will get off any oil or anything else that is on the engine. It has directions and in the 10 years I have been detailing my cars, I have never had to diconnect the battery. After I use the GUNK I usually spray the engine with Armorall Tire Foam, let it sit a few min, and then wipe everything down with an old towel that I only use for my engine. :D It comes out pretty and clean. Plus keeping it clean under the hood makes it easy to look for leaks if you are havig problems. Make sure that after you clean it, spray it and wipe it that you run the motor for at least 10 to 15 min to get any access water to evaporate and to make sure everything is still in working order. :D

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imma try that...GUNK and tire foam...whoever knew...lol

Knautical2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know right. :D Once I get home, I will have to detail my Expy and then take pictures for you guys to see. :D

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watch your alternator, battery, anything electrical and watch the coils

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would stay away from cops or upper intake. There is a good chance the cop boots on older expy can leak water past them in to the spark plug well. You will then have a misfire... happened to me. I dried them out with compressed air and replaced plugs and all was well. Also stay away from spraying directly into any electrical components. I would recommend cleaning it while engine is cold and immediately afterwards start it up and drive it for some distance to dry it out well. I always just use simple green but my motor does not get that greasy.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use gunk engine cleaner also, spray on when the engine is pretty warm and let sit till it has cooled off. Using a garden hose, lightly spray the engine & engine bay while avoiding excessive spray on electrical items. When finished crank up and let it run. I do not recommend spraying water on a hot engine. If you want also spray the underside of the engine and trans case. Depending on what products you use, expect an odor for a day or two after cleaning. You can always tell when an engine has been "Gunked" by the smell.