Impact of Heavy Duty Tow Package (w/ 3.73 axle ratio) on MPG gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s about the most truck thing I’ve ever seen.

are we on page 4+ yet? good so I can hi-jack the thread!

I bought the truck when the wife was outta town...dealer was gonna drive me home...I said nope I came prepared....brought my own hitch, tow-bar & 7pin connector...had it all in the back of the jeep....didnt want them to think they had me by the balls!

the jeep is boosted 2 inches....the f350 makes it look like a toy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah but nobody complains if a work truck is rough at idle, has a clunky tranny, burns a little oil etc etc.

I’m skeptical too of the real benefit of a break in period but I do follow them religiously and always get an oil change after it reaches the end of that period.

Non of our trucks show any of those problems. No premature failures of any component other than the stupid emissions crap and usual recalls or TSB’s. We do have user error all the time. But that’s not the trucks fault. We try and take them to 180K miles before they go to auction. If we made the transmission clunk in the first thousand miles, pretty sure it would be toast by 180K. Not even sure what would cause a rough idle in a thousand miles. Knock some of the cam lobe off? It wouldn’t make it much longer if that happens. Glazing the brake pads with a heavy trailer with weak or no brakes would be my only concern. They just want you to get a thousand miles on it so you can’t bring it back when you figure out you’re Raptor can’t pull your 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I worked in shipping at an auto plant. Believe me those things got broken in right away!

I probably wouldn’t max tow right out of the gate with anything I wanted to keep a long time. Rings seat pretty much right away. Clutch packs I’m not so sure. You might get a little garbage out of the first oil change too. The guys at blackstone could tell when I’d used the diesel for heavy towing. I wouldn’t want an oil filter with some breaking junk all in it when pushing things to their limit.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at 269.7 miles on this tank, 23.6MPG, 441 miles to empty. Mixed city/highway. I routinely go over 500 miles on a tank. Standard hitch, no HD tow package, XLT Max.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at 269.7 miles on this tank, 23.6MPG, 441 miles to empty. Mixed city/highway. I routinely go over 500 miles on a tank. Standard hitch, no HD tow package, XLT Max.
Those couple extra gallons in the max fuel tank really make a difference!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can do over 500 miles in a std wheelbase and smaller tank. I used to, but didnt have heavy duty or 4wd.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We left northern WI and drove to Florida. ONE fuel stop put us in Florida. Max 4x4 3.73.