In need of a game plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

janrivera17

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I have a 2000 4.6 rwd, and i want to make it faster, not top speed faster as much as acceleration. I want to be able to pass who ever is infront of me without too much hassle.

I was thinking of starting with a cold air intake, and move on from there. I was wondering what gives me the most boost for what it is worth, meaning I'm starting low budget but i want to get good results nonetheless, and also the "essentials" for my goal. again thanks!!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have found a K&N drop-in filter and the Gott's Mod does very nicely for my truck in place of an expensive CAI system. That would be my recommendation to anyone on a budget like myself.

OP
OP
janrivera17

janrivera17

Reaction score
so instead of changing the whole intake, you recommend just changing the filter, and the Gotts mod?

did you have a noticeable difference in performance :)

And how did you do your Gotts mod?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so instead of changing the whole intake, you recommend just changing the filter, and the Gotts mod?

did you have a noticeable difference in performance :)

And how did you do your Gotts mod?

search gotts mods...plenty of pics and how to notes to do it...good luck

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not going to blow you away in the performance dept, but it does add a nice kick when you downshift to pass someone. Also make sure that 02 sensors are replaced, and you clean/replace the MAF. The more efficient the engine runs, the better acceleration you will see.

Oh and my Gotts mod was done exactly the way the forum pages say to do it if you look them up, good luck and let me know if you have other questions.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
gotts mod, k&n drop in. clean MAF. good gas. NO ARCO! look for used tuners on craigslist. got my hypertech for $100. i still have my edge, just my friend is borrowing it for his f150 since it has 37s with stock gears. he needs the little extra power. haha and 3" exhaust with free flowing muffler. then e-fans if you can find them cheap on craigslist. i have to buy some new fans, mine are 24V pushers, not what i want. haha

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
janrivera17, ARCO is a national gas station. They are mainly out west, but you can find them here and there. Just remember to stick with a name brand gas station and you should be good.

As for mods that will net you more power and not kill the bank, I would say to start with the Gotts Mod and K&N filter. I dynoed my truck with my filter mod and I gained 1 hp and 10-ft-lbs of torque. Not massive numbers, but for $40 and 30 minutes of my time, any gain is welcome. After that, you will want to open up the exhaust (since the truck is now breathing easier). With this, you have 2 basic options. You can go with a single 3" setup with a 50 or 70 series muffler or you can spend a little more for a true dual 2.5" setup using 50 or 70 series mufflers. Do not go bigger in the pipe department as you will start killing your back pressure and it will hurt your low end torque. Same with a freer flowing muffler. It limits the low end grunt and you will find getting off the line harder to do. Plan on spending about $500 for the custom exhaust setup.

From here, I would say to look into an E-fan setup. Lots of options there. If you are looking at doing this, let me know. I have done this mod and have helped out more members than I care to admit to. There's a few things that you need to keep in mind. THe benefit of this mod is you gain the power across the whole RPM band unless modifications like the intake and/or exhaust which really only help the top end. You can plan on gaining atleast 6 hp and 8 ft-lbs of torque (assuming the fans are running). You will gain slightly more if the fans are not running.

From there, how are you with tearing into motors? This next step is not for the faint of heart, but you can net some decent gains for little money. If you can port/polish the intake and heads, you can free up some more horses. Essentially you are allowing the actual motor to breathe easier. If the motor can breathe easier, it gets more air into the cylinder, it can add more fuel and therefore make more power. But, you are talking about pulling the heads off of the motor, taking a stone to the intake to smooth it out, sanding it down, etc. You are looking at about $300 in bolts/gaskets/etc to rip into the engine, but the actual work is mainly just your time.

The easier place to net some power is to remove the elbow between the throttle body and the intake. If you look at the inside edge, you will see where the EGR gases enter there. You can do a fair amount of porting/polishing there to net some gains. Nothing spectacular, but for the $10 in stones/flap wheels and your time, the gains are well worth it.

From there, you have the computer chips. This will take a lot of investigation. I am not a big fan of them. Keep in mind that a lot of the chips require you to run premium fuel to get the most gains. So, you are looking at spending an additional $9 a tank to run premium fuel. If you are worried about money, that can be a deal breaker.

if you need some other ideas. let me know.

OP
OP
janrivera17

janrivera17

Reaction score
wow this is amazing, and you recommend doing it in this order? i would prefer a single exhaust with a thicker tip, to give it the closest sound to a "diesel motor" i can, i don't know if that makes sense. And i plan on getting the filter and Gotts mod done this week/weekend, and for the E-fans around how much am I looking at? As for tearing into motors, Im very curious and I spend a lot of time in autoshop in my school cause a lot of my buddies are in the mechanic academy so I'm allowed to use the shop and they can help me. By the looks of it I will be able to do all of this :D maybe wait on the exhaust for a little bit because it sounds like the most expensive one.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
janrivera17, a quality e-fan setup is going to set you back about $300 or so assuming you install it yourself. Sure, you can do a setup for around $100. The problem is you are going to have issues in a year or so. A little bit of money spent now is going to make for many, many years of trouble free use. In short, go with an electronic controller, not the wire wound ones. The wire wound ones are definitely cheaper, but after about a year of use and exposure to the environment, they will tend to loose connection and will fail to turn on the fan. What you are wanting is what is referred to as an "electronic controller". These are normally identifiable by having a "black box" associated with it and a relay attached to it.

With the exhaust, if you are after a specific tone (like the diesel sound you mention), the big thing that you need to focus on is the last foot or so of the pipe. In your case, I would run the single 3" like you want, but right after it gets up and over the rear axle, add in a "reducer" to enlarge the pipe up to a 4" pipe and then extend the last 3-4 feet to the edge of the truck with this 4" pipe. This will give you the deep growl like what you are after.