Increased MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is your final drive ratio?

You likely need to gear down...though you won't get great MPG with tires that big.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by c_mccann
I've found that 1500-1600 RPM gets me to 65mph just fine, and I average 15-16mpg all day in Los Angeles traffic. I own a 28ft. offshore fishing boat and on those, you drive by the tachometer, that's how I drive my car. Getting used to that mindframe is easy, and your gas mileage will improve. Anything below 12mpg and there's something wrong, either with the driver or the car..

I agree.....When i bought my 2000 EB the guy said he was averaging about 10mpg. I took it, had the fluids replaced, the fuel injectors cleaned, added an Intake and was easy on the gas pedal (which is hard to do cause you just love to hear that exhaust rev up) and I haven't even added my Throttle body spacer yet and i'm averaging about 14 with mostly in city driving. If i can make it to 16mpg i'll be happy....cause my last suv was a 6 cyl Blazer and i got about 15 on average lol

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 5.4 was getting about 12.5 mixed driving. I changed the fuel filter and it went up to around 13.5. I am 1000 miles into my 2500 mile trip from Anchorage to Seattle and I am averaging 17.4. This is manually figuring the milage, not a trip computer. I am very happy with this. When I budgeted the fuel I did it figuring 14 to 15. The most I have had to pay for gas so far was $4.82 in Whitehorse, Yukon. The highest I paid in Alaska was $3.19. If I had gone another 1/4 mile I could have got it for $3.06:mad:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the newest Expeditions came out. Really helps with acceleration. :)

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn, that's really nice. To bad i still like the body style that i have over the new ones :( Maybe they'll revert back one day and i'll buy a new one when this one blows up lol

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i get like 13 city 16 highway. i have a 97 with 17 rims with p285/70r17 tires, 3.73 gears, and at ever intersection red light i peg it a 5k rpms, all this with 167,400 miles