Inevitable Engine Repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Hi All,

Here's the story: Wife has a ‘99 2wd 4.6. Service engine light came on and vehicle also exhibited shuddering problems. Autozone did a computer check and stated that the engine light was EGR Valve and/or EGR flow related. We brought it to our mechanic who did a standard tune-up and replaced the EGR valve twice but was unable to get the engine light to turn off after FOUR trips :confused:.

Gave up on them after wasting the time and $ and brought it to a new mechanic who changed the transmission fluid and fuel filter (again). I asked if he extracted the fluid from the transmission, he described his process as removing and cleaning the pan, draining the fluid, and draining the fluid from the torque converter. He also informed us that #4 cylinder wire was bad and recommended replacing them all. He also wants to clean the fuel injectors.

Please note that I do not know much about these things and am literally using terminology from the mechanic, though a “cylinder wire” to me just sounds like a spark plug wire.

Current quote is $80 to replace EVP sensor, $100 for cylinder wires, $75 for the labor for that work, and $60 for the fuel injector cleaning. Already charged $140 for transmission flush and the “computer check.”

So finally to the questions:

Was the transmission “flush” service adequate? I’ve read some articles about a vacuuming process to properly flush the system, which apparently didn’t take place in this case.

What exactly is involved in “cleaning fuel injectors?”

And finally, if I get these remaining services performed will this likely resolve the problems we’re currently having with the vehicle?

Thank you for reading all this, and thank you ahead of time for your replies. I’ll be heading to Autozone tomorrow morning to talk about this stuff some more and get some alternative pricing.

Ryan

OP
OP
G

Ryan,

I have a 98 2wd 5.4l Expy and recently had the same thing happen to me. The service light went on and my mechanic checked it out and said there was nothing wrong with the engine. So he called a collegue that works at a Ford dealership service department and was told that the EGR valve needed to be replaced. So thats what I did and it did the trick. Now my only problem is that the ABS light is on, but there is nothing wrong with it. Mechanic said its probably the same thing. Something wrong with the ABS sensor, not the ABS. Hope that helps.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To answer your questions about the tranny flush:
No, it was not the best job.

The "new" equipment used actually power flushes the tranny by reicirculating tranny fluid around the system, and thus cleaning out junk from all the nooks and crannies. I believe they then evacuate the system and put in new fluid. Make sure you get this service next time, which may mean you have to change shops.

OP
OP
G

Well I figured I'd post a follow-up. I'll keep it brief as there was much back and forth to Autozone and calls with other mechanics. Needless to say I've been somewhat educmacated.

Short and sweet:

Replaced the DPFE sensor and the vacuum hoses. Note: do not use standard fuel hoses as one of the Autozone guys recommended. I ultimately got the correct ones from the dealership for an arm and a leg, but they were necessary for proper function.

Replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wire set.

Misfire is gone, shudder is gone, though it's only been a day so I need to give it a few to be sure. No check engine light or codes.

Working on the EGR system was no problem with the Haynes manual. I can honestly say however I wish I would have just paid the $ to have the plugs and wire set replaced. Being a novice, this took me the entire weekend, and was not enjoyable. The parts would have cost twice what I was able to get retail on my own, but the time investment and degree of difficulty was what made it definitely not worth it.

A major part of this process had to do with the fact that Autozone and many mechanics do not have the specific equipment to do full diagnostics for the problems. The codes were always "something to do with this system" as in the EGR system or misfires being detected. Apparently since dealerships have the equipment made for their makes, their testing abilities are more accurate. I was also told that some mechanic shops have more expensive equipment that can do better testing and diagnostics.

This was certainly a learning experience, with one lesson being to pick which items to "do it yourself" and which ones to just pay someone for. Unfortunately so far, we've been unable to find a mechanic that we can honestly say, "We trust" to do good work.

Hope this information helps someone.

Ryan

OP
OP
G

Actually I did use Bosch, but so far it has been running great.

I must now knock my head on wood 5,000 times as I'm certainly not interested in replacing them again anytime soon.

MitchPeters

Reaction score
I put a set in and after about 8k miles it started missing. I had also replaced the wires. Ford had changed a coil under warranty but said plugs and wires were mine and wanted $500 or so to do it. No place in town had Motorcraft plugs so I buy Bosch. A Roush Racing sponser. When it started missing I changed wires one at a time looking for a bad wire. Nothing. I finally bought an OBDII tester and it said misfire cylinder 3. I pulled the plug and it was brown like the cylinder fire was leaking past the ceramic and the steel on the plug. I bought another set of Bosch plugs( I KNOW I"M AN IDIOT!) and one by one over the next few thousand miles had to change them all. A few thousand miles more it started again. This time I bought another set of wires and Motorcraft plugs and have put 20k on them with no problems. I can now do 4.6l plugs in under an hour!!:D

OP
OP
G

Well I must say that the ability to do the plugs in under an hour compares to walking on water after how long it too me the first time.

This is great info though. If it starts missing any I'll just pull it all of the plugs and drop in Motorcrafts. I may have someone else do it though, but hopefully by then I will have been through enough therapeutic process to face the challenge once more.

MitchPeters

Reaction score
Practice makes perfect. The first time was 4 or 5 hours. As I was doing them one at a time I figured what combination of extensions and swivels I needed to use.

OP
OP
G

I put Platinum_2's in mine and it is still running a little rough. I wonder if I should have gone with the MotorCrafts.

Has anyone actually had a noticeable difference after having the injectors professionaly cleaned?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt