inop rear wiper motor / wiring and washer on a 2002

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need help with wiring testing.... questions at bottom ...

I picked up this 2002 expedition EB 4.6 rwd last month and the wiper arm was easy to take out... tried using the int1 and int2 settings and washer and nothing from the rear.

taking off the rear wiper motor, i found that the arm shaft will not hold in the sleeve and that inside the gears that they are cracked and damaged. NO matter what, the assembly need replaced in order to properly hold and secure the shaft.

now in testing the wiring, no matter what setting i have on the column, int1, int2, or off, I am always seeing 12 volts on the purple wire with yellow traces.
When connecting the motor back I do not read 12 volts from the connecting wire.

#14 fuse is good (15 amp)

can someone provide me (or point me to) the wiring for this component?

Also how is the washer working? it is at the top of the window and the wiper is below the window. tubing from front and pump in front? wiring for washer pump all up front?

thanks in advance...

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, i think i found the battery junction box diagram and wiring diagram for the rear wipers...

so i guess purple (yellow trace) wire is for the wiper park sense... always 12 volts unless circuit changes? seems then I should start up front and turn rear wipers and check the up and down rear wiper relays for power?

is that correct? at least to determine to next go ahead in the circuit from the relays or behind the relays next, right?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check first from the rear for voltage on all settings and slowly work your way up front using the diagram.

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fuses in both under dash and battery junction are ok...

so what I am wondering is what is the best way to first test out that the multi switch is actually changing the circuit?

Is it that the purple with yellow trace wire to motor harness vary say from 12 (parked) to 0 v when in INT2 and 6 for int1 ? since the gears are messed up, does it need to physically need to be at a certain position, i.e. first kick out from park for then the other controls to kick in? I ask b/c i've read a lot of people writing that give wiper a slight push up and it will start working in certain situations.

I do not believe that I should be starting at the rear and moving forward... I wan to start upfront, is that the right way?

here is the circuit diagram I am looking at... looks like a copy from fordtechservice
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/jmcdo28/2009-03-14_213702_wipermoter_explorer.pdf

http://circuitswiring.com/circuit-d...-Ford-Expedition-Battery-Fuse-Box-Diagram.gif

It does not include the washer.... is that functionality dependent on the rear wiper working?

pump works for front, not rear. I do see only the one reservoir and pump with two fluid lines out of pump.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is only one resevoir and 2 pumps in the resevoir. One for front windshield, the other is for back window. The tubing runs all the way back to the rear window. When you push for wash, it pulses for rear wiper as well. I don't have my Ford service manual in front of me at this moment but what I would do is this. Wire in a test light in place of the wiper motor. Operate the rear wiper switch and see if the light illuminates on all the time with the switch on all the time. Then move the swtch to intermintent1 and then to intermitent2 and see if the light corrisponds to the switch. If it does, its a simple replace the wiper motor with a new or one from the wreckers. If it doesn't, report back here and we will help you correct your issue further. Fix the simple things first rather than make it complicated when it doesn't have to be.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is only one resevoir and 2 pumps in the resevoir. One for front windshield, the other is for back window. .

Check your wiring diagrams and you will find that there is only 1 pump in the reservoir The electrical circuit will reverse the positive voltage to the pump motor causing it to reverse direction. When the pump runs in one direction it provides fluid to the front and when the pump runs in the opposite direction it will provide fluid to the rear.

This applies to all 1st gen washer systems

Fila571

Reaction score
Just my two cents, All testing for power to rear wiper must be done with rear door closed and latched. you could bypass this switch I suppose although I am not sure how.