installing rear brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trcoa1

Reaction score
I am replacing rear brake pads on my 07 expedition and I cannot figure out how to get the pads installed and the caliper back together.
I know there must be a trick to this, but 2 hours trying to figure it out and I'm reaching out for help. Can anyone help me with this?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen an 07 caliper up close? Picture?

Are you having trouble putting the pad back in?

OP
OP
T

trcoa1

Reaction score
yes, I am having trouble geting the pads back in. I don't know if a picture would help you figure it out. There has to be trick to this

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
make sure the pads are the right size. i was given the wrong size pads for the front and it screwed up my new calipers. took them back got new calipers and the correct pads. a simple letter will make a big deal for it. i think mine werent supposed to have an s on the end and they gave them to me. was like a 1/4 inch bigger then what it should have been. so just check that b4 you go and brake ur fingers. then if not post some pics and see if we can help.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I did my brakes on mine. Was trying to visualize how the pads go back on. Does it have spring clips on the back of the pad?

The anti rattle spring/clip on the caliper might also give you some trouble.

starbuck478

Reaction score
yes, I am having trouble geting the pads back in. I don't know if a picture would help you figure it out. There has to be trick to this

did you compress the brake caliper piston before you put the new pads in? the old pads are gonna be alot thinner so the piston would have been compressed alot more to function. since the new ones are thicker you need to compress the piston to make them fit in the caliper and over the rotor

OP
OP
T

trcoa1

Reaction score
elevato,
the pads do have spring clips, but the caliper doesn't

starbuck,
the piston is compressed as far as it will go.

I will try to get a decent picture and post it.

OP
OP
T

trcoa1

Reaction score
here is the picture. note I have one rod inserted and one not. This is where I gave up last night. You can see the rod is half an inch too long. if I try to insert both rods, the angle is too steep to insert. This is caused by the pads going so far back.

Let me know what you think.
I am stumped. I'v purchased a haynes manual and it was worthless. I've researched online and found nothing, but simple instructions, but no detail on how to put the caliper back.

I measured the brake pad thickness and it is half an inch on each pad.

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 782

starbuck478

Reaction score
i had the same problem when replacing my brake pads and the piston went alot further in than i had imagined it would, i ended up using a pipe clamp to compress it fully. but if it is completely compressed as you said, the next thing i would do is verify the part number as panda said cause it could be something as simple as them sending you the wrong part

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, I almost feel like taking apart one of my calipers. I'm having a hard time visualizing why it's not going back together.

BTW, this is the anti-rattle clip I was talking about on the caliper. Did yours have this?