Is there a hole in my gas tank or what!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

captain chaos

Reaction score
Oh, I expect it to suck down the dino juice when I'm towing, no way around that. The camper itself isn't that big (16-17'?) but it's older and no where near as light as the newer ones. It's probably around 4000lbs loaded up and ready to go. Our Jeep would handle the weight just fine but the camper was physically so much bigger than the jeep that it was like pulling a parachute if there was any wind at all. It would still manage 12mpg though, even with the pedal on the floor at anything that even resembled a hill. I'm still kinda sad that we had to sell that thing; easily one of my all time favorite vehicles I've owned. :bawl: I actually had 2 Cherokee's at one point; his/her's.

I'll be sure to check that PVC hose, thanks. :favorites13: I had the exact same problem with my Focus. With 185,000mi on the clock (and counting) I'm not that surprised that some of it's hoses were less than perfect though.

OP
OP
C

captain chaos

Reaction score
cold ait makes hp not warm air thats why the put intercoolers on turbos
you need a cold air intake (CAI)

Cold air makes hp, warm air makes MPG. Since it's been getting colder here (especially in the morning) I decided to route warm air in the hopes of preserving mpg's. Mpg's nosedive when winter hits on every Ford I've ever owned. For the summer time I will probably go ahead and run a tube into the inner fender for cooler air. Underhood temps in the summer can get pretty high but in the winter they are relatively mild.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I have a 2000 AWD with a 5.4 and echoed your feelings with MPG's....but I knew going into it and buying it that it was not a Prius...its a truck...but damm that does hurt at the pump...I am getting 18 to 19 city and 22 highway and im not done with my mods yet and I drive it also like a 90 year old fart...mostly because I want it to last...I have done the following..new plugs OEM Motorcraft, gotts mod, 94 Octane Sunoco Fuel which is the best I found and the truck really like it...meaning performance and MPG....worth the extra at the pump...at least for me...Im seeing the results..and a Edge CS programmer which cost 400.00 but I figure I will make that back in less the 8 months of driving and not giving to those oil thieves. The programmer made this truck come to life. I have thought about electric cooling fans but dual fans each pulling 1600 CFMs that creates a big draw on the alternator and more drag...I still thinking that one over...check out Troyer performance , just google it...they got what I believe is the best cooling set up...quit suckin that hot air from under the hood go back to the fender and run a 3" piece of PVC through that hole...make sure you get it to the second lip in that fender...I have picture on my album of what I have done...I have 86K on mine now and am going to change all 4 O2 sensors.. most recommendations are to replace at 50K to keep things running right...if your gonna do headers do ceramic long tube... don't do the shortys...no gain with shortys...dual exhaust is cool and is one of my projects as well....I don't want it loud but want it to breathe...I have the same tick tick you have and have narrowed it down to the right manifold....but that is way more that I want to bite off...my truck is a California truck but I hear those manifold bolts are a ******************** and I'm not as limber as I once was...so I will bite the $$ and pay..there are guys on this forum that have tried it all and are very smart...I listen to them and learn....it saves me $$ in the long run...Im sure you will hear more, than the rest is up to you...Oh and I changed all my fluids to synthetic including the gear lube...I still do 3K oil changes even with the synthetic and use either K&N or Wixs oil filters...Use 5W20 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter...I have the same problem with getting wordy...LMAO...

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Cold air makes hp, warm air makes MPG. Since it's been getting colder here (especially in the morning) I decided to route warm air in the hopes of preserving mpg's. Mpg's nosedive when winter hits on every Ford I've ever owned. For the summer time I will probably go ahead and run a tube into the inner fender for cooler air. Underhood temps in the summer can get pretty high but in the winter they are relatively mild.
keep us updated on mpgs with warmer air, im interested

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
yes we have our own Chaplain Steve Baker and he will pray for your MPGs

OP
OP
C

captain chaos

Reaction score
keep us updated on mpgs with warmer air, im interested

I've been using this trick on most of my cars for some time now. My Focus would regularly drop 3mpg or so in the winter. The Ranger I had before that would drop about 3 also. I will usually remove the heat shield from the CAI on the Focus and remove the shield from the header (I run a long tube header on it) as well in an attempt to keep the underhood temps up a little. With that I can keep the mpg loss down to 1-1.5. For a car that regularly get 36mpg that a very small percentage loss. I chalk that one up to just winter blend gas.

Funny thing is, most of my other brands of cars/trucks I've owned don't seem to suffer as much from the cold air or winter. My Fords have always dropped 10-15%.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Don't buy in to the myth.

By overinflating you:
-decrease ride comfort
-decrease the life of the tire
-increase braking distance
-may (may) pick up 1% -2% mileage (but probably not)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4199963

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...s_properly_but_beware_of_overinflation_page_5

This is the kind of mis-information that spreads like wildfire on the internet. The next thing I'll be reading here is that some of you are putting magnets on your fuel line to increase mileage.