It's Official this Expedition HATES ME

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay so seems I am always fixing little things here and there after I had some major stuff done in the past (rear end, ac system, heater core, replacing entire ignition system).

So the other day I went to start it and instead of it firing it simply went "clunk" (a bit louder than a click from what seemed like under the hood). A few attempts and it fired off. This went on like this for a few days while I waited for the weekend so I could tinker. I noticed the white and greenish powdery residue by the batter connections so assumed it was simply a dirty connection. I cleaned the battery side and the connectors all bright and shiny then connected it all back up, tightend it up and hit the key to hear the "clunk" again. Okay so its not a dirty connection now what????

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tl;dr, the problem may be where the copper wire goes to the terminal. check for voltage drop from the battery post to the firewall solenoid. anything higher than .100 v is too much and should be looked into. my drop just from the post to the copper right after the connection was about .240v and that part of the terminal got warm when I jumped the solenoid to turn over the engine.

basically you get enough voltage to engage the solenoids but the last one doesn't connect so you get a louder clunk with a no start. I could do this about 20x before it started finally.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the connections at the starter also. They need to be clean. The starter grounds to the block which also needs to have a good connection. Also the connection from the block back to the battery has to be clean.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
spud, can you give us an update? also, when you check the starter connections, check the ground wire for any insulation damage that could lead to internal corrosion. I have updated my thread with my findings