just got a 05 Expy with tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ATony

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Fords are great. I've owned Fords most of my life however I've been on a Jeep kick lately...lol

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
so heres the big boy lol im pretty impressed with it after 1500 mile trek from wisconsin to El paso tx. didnt spend as much money on gas as i thought. i used premium since the truck sat at the dealership since DEC 2012, which isnt too long, but thought good clean pure 93 pump gas without 10% ethanol in wisconsin to help push out any crap that was sitn in the tank. gonna look into gettin the fuel filter changed though after that. alaso gonna change the oil to royal purple synthetic 5w20. i use royal purple in everything. Even my ATF trans when i can afford it lol Also gonna change all the other fluids so i know that all the fluids have good fluids in it. full synthetic all around; gear oil and all.

P1040832_zps472dad48.jpg
P1040831_zpsca3fdae4.jpg
P1040824_zpsa950f01e.jpg
P1040823_zps0de8cd1a.jpg

at first i found that a TPMS sensor and the washerfluid pump was out. the dealership fixed for free.
the running boards are rusty but im in the process of removing the trim and sanding it. just gotta find a simular paint. im thinking flat black but id rather have the same color or close to it.
Unfortunatly i found out what a northern vehilce that sits too long does when it hasnt been driven in awhile. The drivers front caliper was seized :( noticed this after i had a horrible vibration at 75mph and only got worse at higher speeds (80mph is legal in texas lol) Then i noticed the burnt brake smell... then the draggin started at low speeds. so yeah. time for a new caliper. thinking of doing both but not sure. what do you all think?
the rotor and i thknk the pads are shot too :( they chatter now when the brakes are applied

also wondering if they make stainless steel braided lines for EXPY's? im thinking of replacing them all and rather put stainless braided in there. im sure the old rubber ones could use to be replaced.

also found a CAI on ebay that comes with everything http://www.ebay.com/itm/370649819204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
looks pretty good and not at the K&N new price.

also gonna have the muffler replaced with a magnaflow, dont want it too lound since its the wifes lol but want it to be noticed alittle. a nice corsa clone would be nice on the pipe that would be a tip lol

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks clean! Looks like someone re-painted the lower door trim at some point, as it has a gloss to it... I believe the XLTs would have matte-finish trim similar to the fender flares.

Nice rig! Any luck on the dealer helping pay for at least the parts on the seized caliper? If you were local to them, I'd imagine it would be covered.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
i think the trim is standard. ive seen a few XLT's just like mine running around on ft bliss with the same trim.

I can eat the cost of the caliper. its only $65 (after i return the core) the dealerships all the way back in wisconsin lol so its not local lol but the dealership did a great job on selling it too me so i can take that hit. now if i drove down the road and the motor crapped out 50miles from where i bought it, then yeah, that would be different lol

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think the trim is standard. ive seen a few XLT's just like mine running around on ft bliss with the same trim.

I can eat the cost of the caliper. its only $65 (after i return the core) the dealerships all the way back in wisconsin lol so its not local lol but the dealership did a great job on selling it too me so i can take that hit. now if i drove down the road and the motor crapped out 50miles from where i bought it, then yeah, that would be different lol

Yours appears to have clear-coat on it, is that the case? The XLTs don't have shiny trim:

77210565.jpg

The Eddie Bauer and limited would be the only ones with a gloss finish. If yours are glossy, they were either repainted, or replaced.

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yours appears to have clear-coat on it, is that the case? The XLTs don't have shiny trim:

77210565.jpg

The Eddie Bauer and limited would be the only ones with a gloss finish. If yours are glossy, they were either repainted, or replaced.

Not true, some XLT's actually did come with the wheel well trim and it was all painted like a graphite color as opposed to the fading crap raw plastic ones. There are quite a few around my area I just wish I would've known that some came like that before I bought mine.

Sent from my Bag Phone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
well it looks nice to me lol
the major concern im having was a sticking/draggin drivers side caliper about 500miles into my trek from wisconsin to el paso :(
so far, replaced caliper, rotor, and now brake line and ABS vacuum hoses as well as bleeding the crap out of the brakes system. went though almost 2 resivious worth of fluid. (no i didnt empty it)
its not dragging par say but its still making alot of ABS "noise" when i hit the brakes. it releases at least now. and now the petal is going down by itself sometime :/ not cool.
it did have really bad fluid in it when i bled it. im thinking of bleeding it again.

question on this vehilce. does it matter if i bleed it with the truck on or off?
anybody have any hints?

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
i think ive found my answer. i had a sneaking suspition but i think im gonna have to go this route :(
ive been readin around that these systems require a reader to activate the ABS to bleed correctly while you bleed the brakes on these vehilces :( i dont have a OBD2 reader for this let alone a diagnositc reader that can activate vehilce computer tests and maintainance proceedures. and i really dont want to take it to a dealer but i really need to get these brakes bled correctly :( damn it all. always something

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not true, some XLT's actually did come with the wheel well trim and it was all painted like a graphite color as opposed to the fading crap raw plastic ones. There are quite a few around my area I just wish I would've known that some came like that before I bought mine.

Sent from my Bag Phone using Tapatalk

I haven't ever seen one with gloss trim that wasn't a EB or Limited, but am glad to hear they learned the error of their ways and went with painted trim at some point! Do you know when that changed?