just HOW illegal is it to have police lights installed on your truck?? (hehe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Not only lights but Paint color too!

Years ago when you bought an old Michigan State Police car you signed a form upon purchase you would change the paint color before driving on the road...then they started leasing there cars from a place in Ohio called Wheels Inc..and for the past 5 years or so you dont have to do that...I restored a Florida Highway Patrol Mustang while living in Florida and caught alot of shit for the Black and Cream color paint scheme....its on the the Florida Law books that it is a second degree misdemeanor to have a car painted those colors and that same paint scheme....

Starman

Reaction score
I've heard that too. I went to the local auction, tmc machine auction, and all the FHP cars are painted with a thick black, rolled on paint to cover the tan. Really looks like shizz.

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to ressurect an old thread but, in Florida it is most certainly illegal to have any red or blue lights mounted on your vehicle that are visible from the front. Doesn’t say anything about being visible from the rear. Definitely not allowed on the grill. You can receive a non-moving violation for them being installed and pay a fine. You can be charged with impersonating an officer for issuing them.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Green is reserved in many places too, it's a color code for first responder command vehicle or some such shit

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In NY you cant have red or blue. You can have white strobes if your a tow truck or some other utility services. For plowing and construction Amber is the standard. Nothing illegal about having grille lights as long as they aren’t red or blue and are amber or white. Stick with amber lights but even those should be left to construction/plows etc as they actually need them to get drivers attention when engaging in hazardous operation. If you plow here in NY law requires you to have a clearly visible amber light bar and it be functioning in low visibility or at dusk whether a public or private driver. Amber lights also eliminate a lot of liability on the drivers behalf as under NY state law drivers must avoid vehicles displaying them so much of the liability falls on the regular passanger vehicle.

Last edited:

MiteyMT

Reaction score
I have a retired 2011 FBI rig. I recommend a cb antenna and a searchlight. I also ran factory Steelies painted black with chrome center caps. You don't need the lights. I already have a hard time getting my shady friends to come to the door. I also have a phone app that plays a siren, and I have plans to hook to my PA