Just traded an 03 for an 05...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am I dumb or what?

I can't believe I bought another damn ford! I test drove an 05 and really like the new power band. It is much better to drive. I figure the added torque will help me tow as well. Plus I wanted the climate seats and DVD. The steering and ride seem better too.

And, with the '03 gone I don't have to worry about:

1. The fact that the front brakes were metal to metal at 22K miles.
2. The cruddy break dust.
3. The passenger front window regulator was going out.
4. The CD player wouldn't eject CDs
5. The doors rattled.
6. The seats were wearing out already.
7. The reverse mirrors going hog wild.
8. The tires had chunks missing from the tread.
9. It was time for oil and trans fluid change.

And I still bought another one! Hopefully, some of these bugs are worked out by now.

I really wanted an Armada. It drove very nice and had great power. But that was about it. The interior was inferior and the third row seat wasn't very neat. My wife couldn't even pull it up with out climbing in the back...and it isn't split. So the Ford won again. I still can't believe it!:rolleyes:

rainmn

Reaction score
I have some of those same issues your 03 had in my 04....and I just turned 4,000 miles.
My driver's seat is unbelievably worn out for 4 months old. Looks like 10+ years.
My driver's door squeaks / rattles.
The cargo door never closes on the first try....ever.
And, as an added bonus, the truck died in traffic on me at 700 miles. Blew the fuse for the ignition switch...nice of Ford to include spares. Got it running by stealing the power seat fuse. Ford replaced the fuse box for that one. Haven't brought it in yet for the other stuff.
I looked at Armadas as well, since I owned a Pathfinder once and never had a single trouble with it in 65,000 miles. Zero, none, nada. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get past the looks of the Armada. Both the wife and I just thought it was butt ugly.
Hope your 05 is better, because the 04's don't seem to be.

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
365 ft/lbs @ 3700 RPM compared to 350 @2500. But, it develops 80% of peak torque at 1000 RPM. So, it has a longer torque curve. You can feel it in its drivablity. It doesn't seem to put you back in your seat much more than the 2V, but the powerband is better and longer.

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
rainmn,

I don't trust these Fords at all. I will get an extended wrrty if I still have it at 36K miles.

We only bought one because it's ammenities match with our life style.

I am sure the Nissan is a much better vehicle. It just didn't click with us either unfortunately. I was dissapointed and bummed that were getting a Ford--again. But it was the best for us.

rainmn

Reaction score
I don't trust them either, but I look at it kind of as a lesser of two evils situation. With my family, a full-sized SUV is perfect for us. Of the import choices, all have some issue that rules them out. In the case of the Nissan, it was looks. In the case of the Sequoia, it was price.
Leaving me to choose among the domestics, I have to go with Ford. I've had enough GM piles to refuse to ever give them another dollar.
Like you, I went from Ford to another Ford, but I really didn't see too many other options.

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the Japanesse automakers could tune in to the needs and lust for luxury and styling that American families require, they would clean up. It seems like they are getting closer and closer but have some work to do.

They have surpassed the Americans a while ago in vehicle engineering, but haven't quite gotten ahead in vehicle features, options and styling.

I think American vehicles are much better engineered these days now because of the Japaneese, but they have some work to do as well.

Just my opinon.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope your experience with the '05 is better than your '03.

Some suggestions to your complaints

1. The fact that the front brakes were metal to metal at 22K miles.

This can happen depending on how often you hit those brakes. More frequent city driving and stop/go traffic will chew up brakes quickly, especially on an SUV of this size. I'd suggest going with ceramic pads when the opportunity presents itself. Ceramic pads will give you a little more life, but it still depends on your driving style.

2. The cruddy break dust.

Ford supposedly fixed that halfway through the '04 production. Some people have gotten good results with the newer Ford pads, but I can't justify purchasing consumable parts like brake pads from Ford when I can get better ceramic pads from Napa at half the cost. Again, I'd suggest ceramic pads once you burn through the stock Ford pads.

3. The passenger front window regulator was going out.

Powder windows? Sounds like the motor was weak. I would have tried to get it replaced under warranty, but that depends on how cooperative your dealership is.

4. The CD player wouldn't eject CDs

Now that sucks - warranty issue, but it still sucks.

5. The doors rattled.

Now that sucks - warranty issue, but it still sucks.

6. The seats were wearing out already.

I have yet to find an SUV whose seats do not wear out quickly. My theory is that with SUVs being higher, people can't help but sit on the edge and slide into place. That's a lot of abuse on the leather, no matter what kind you have. Sedans and sports cars, on the other hand, are lower and rather than sliding into place from the edge, people are able to plop themselves into position better and have less of a distance to slide. One thing that may help the leather last longer is treating the leather. Leather, like skin, dries out over time and needs to be replenished with moisturizers and other protective additives (like UV protectant stuff). It won't erase the wear completely, but it does help.

7. The reverse mirrors going hog wild.

Yeah, I remember reading awhile back that this was a problem. I think it was some kind of software issue when you engaged in reverse and the mirrors would go down too far and starting snapping back.

8. The tires had chunks missing from the tread.

Now that REALLY sucks. I would have complained to the dealership because that is a safety issue.

I do that stuff myself. I'd suggest re-locating the oil filter to a more convenient location (unless you've got the tow package that relocates it for you already). The filter is so deep in the engine that even with a metal hat for the filter, it's difficult to get to. Transmission is easy if you've got a pump to pump the fluid back into it.

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keydo,

Awesome Reply!

1. I was thinking about trading when the breaks started queeling. It got me moving. I will definately do ceramic on the 05. Thanks!

2. I heard about the new replacement pads and called my dealer. They said that they never heard of it. I didn't feel like fighting.

3. The passenger window was intermittant. All those dealer idiots would say is "can't duplicate problem" I hate it when they say that.

4. All the dealer monkeys do to get the CD's to eject is bang on the dash. My Ford salesman buddy told me that. We would have him come over and bang on our dash for us to get them out.

5. Rattling doors. This just started. I am sure it would be an easy fix.

6. I was thinking the same thing about the seats. I am glad you mentioned it! I feel better now.

7. That is exactly what the mirrors were doing. I think there is a TSB. They only had this feature in 03. This is probably why.

8. Those contenatal tires suck! The dealer would probably claim abuse.

9. I ussually change the fluids myself as well. It was just another excuse to trade in the 03 because of upcoming expenses.

Most of these issues could be corrected under warranty. I have just had bad experences with Ford Service departments. Somethimes, I think they make problems worse.

The one time I took the '03 in, it came back with scratches and chips on the fenders and hood. And, of course, they didn't do it.

Also, it is a major pain to give up the vehicle for a day or two.

The '05 has a steering wheel vibration. So, It has to go in for a tire balance or something. I am dreading the outcome of this.

JayJervey

Reaction score
Originally posted by Keydo

I do that stuff myself. I'd suggest re-locating the oil filter to a more convenient location (unless you've got the tow package that relocates it for you already). The filter is so deep in the engine that even with a metal hat for the filter, it's difficult to get to. Transmission is easy if you've got a pump to pump the fluid back into it.

I crawled under my 05 Expedition a few days ago to see how easy the oil change would be. The filter is right there in front of your face. Must be because it's the new 3V engine. And the new transmission is maintenance-free with a sealed case -- lifetime fluid.

Regards --

Jay