k&n or paper filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdm5630

Reaction score
I was considering buying a k&n air fikter for my 07 expy. Is it worth it? Or should i just keep buying the paper filters?

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on whether you prefer to take out your filter, clean it, dry it, oil it, then put it back in or if you'd rather take it out, throw it away, and put in a new one.

You won't see any difference in performance.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K&Ns claim to flow more air too. I like them. You dont have to clean them a lot unless you live in a dusty area. I never oiled mine, oops. That was many years ago. Also dont try and wash it in the washer. Bent it, lesson learned.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My opinion is that the filter itself makes little difference in performance. The cfm demand is not great enough to exceed the paper filter capacity as long as you replace them as needed.

3rd party test I have seen show oil/cotton capable of higher cfm but at demands much greater than most stock engines require. But the same test shown the paper filter to "filter" more particles out. Makes sense if you think about it. There is a lot of debate on the subject with no real clear answer not to mention a lot of contradictory info.

When I used to race my stang weekly I found insignificant difference between the two types in the 1/4 mile. (stock) But then I of course kept the K&N once I had it.

Up until I swapped in my modded motor in the expy I used paper filter. Still have paper filter in my Sho as well. If I really felt there was performance to be gained I would have installed one by now so you may say I am a skeptic. Unless I am changing the intake that typically come with oil/cotton filter setup I generally stay with the paper filters.

So it comes down to what you prefer and/or whom you believe.

If you do use K&N style make sure you do not "over oil" them or it can get oil in the maf sensor which would then require cleaning. Not really a big deal just a little bit of time to remove and clean with appropriate maf cleaner.

Last edited:

DRS1

Reaction score
K&N are noticeable for me in the Super Duty diesels, the Crown Vic's...

However, the Expedition I have gone both ways several times. Testing between stock and K&N. No difference in mileage or performance. I seem to get better mileage with stock. Especially when under hood temps are high. Suggest stick with stock for Expedition. As I experience it.

Genesis 2012 TAU 5.0
Sent from my iPhone using Tap..

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't buy it at all.

If manufacturers will spend the time and money to redesign and remove the old school metal radio antennas and integrating them into the windshield to save 0.1 mpg on their CAFE ratings, why would they leave in an undersized airbox with a restrictive air filter that costs 10-30 hp and 1-3 mpg like K&N claims?

phydeaux

Reaction score
I had a K&N on my 99 GT...

I really didn't see much of a difference--if any. Plus, I really hated washing & oiling the thing and cleaning the MAF.

If there were an oil-less performance filter, I'd consider it. But for me, I've used just regular filters--even in my performance cars.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Truck Trend got 10 HP by installing a K&N kit on their old 97 F150 with a 5.4.

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat Restoration - Tune-up and Fluid Change

I'm sure it has some advantage but I'm not sure you'll really notice it day to day.

That's for the complete kit included removing the smallish snorkle to the fender (gotts mod) with unknown miles on the paper filter... I would like to see a comparison to gotts mod and stock filter setup. I feel the stock snorkle is your greatest bottle neck.

You got to realize the dyno test are also performed with the hood wide open so the "cold air intake" can receive cooler air vs heated under hood air since it is no longer pulling from the fender. And of course dyno test are done at w.o.t. so don't expect the gains at part throttle when airflow demand is much lower.

Last edited: