Leak when raining...beneath dash by brake release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronsonb

Reaction score
I've dealt with rainwater getting into my Expedition before. It almost ALWAYS was due to the sunroof drain lines being clogged. I'd blow them out, and all would be well.

It's happening again, but this time the water is not coming in at the roof but from right below the parking brake release. I confirmed the sunroof drain line was clear (I could get colored water to flow through it).

I am thinking the water is coming in from either around the door seal or the windshield. Any ideas? I plan to explore some more with water and food coloring, but I find it odd that the water is migrating down to behind the parking brake release.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope you find the leak, they can be difficult. I had a 97 GMC Yukon that leaked from behind the dash on the passenger side getting the flood mat wet. I tried everything but couldn't find or stop the leak. I ultimately pulled back the carpet and painted the floor to avoid rust. Then drilled a few small holes in the floor to let the water drain to the street. I put 2 thin lines of caulk to channel the water to the holes. Then I covered it with a plastic sheet and put the carpet back. Believe it or not it worked and the rug never got wet again. You couldn't even tell it was there. Thought I would share just in case. Good Luck.

OP
OP
B

bronsonb

Reaction score
You know, that's a good idea if I can't find the leak. I like how you think! The water is already gathering under the plastic panel that covers the door sill. I could potentially drill a small hole there to get the water out.

If I could park the car in my garage all the time, it wouldn't be an issue. But this is really the "lumber hauler, road trip" car. Paid it off right when we bought her used, and she's been a workhorse ever sense. Don't drive her as much as I used to, so she's usually on the back parking pad covered in a car cover. I just can't part with it. I need a truck too many times in a year, and this one just costs me tags, insurance, and a little gas.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, that's a good idea if I can't find the leak. I like how you think! The water is already gathering under the plastic panel that covers the door sill. I could potentially drill a small hole there to get the water out.

If I could park the car in my garage all the time, it wouldn't be an issue. But this is really the "lumber hauler, road trip" car. Paid it off right when we bought her used, and she's been a workhorse ever sense. Don't drive her as much as I used to, so she's usually on the back parking pad covered in a car cover. I just can't part with it. I need a truck too many times in a year, and this one just costs me tags, insurance, and a little gas.
If the leak is on the door sill, it may be coming from the door itself. Make sure that the door drains are open. Also don't drill into the sill there is a ton of wires in there. I have that problem on my 17 when it rains very hard. I ran a thin copper wire into the drains on either end and I haven't noticed it since then.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've dealt with rainwater getting into my Expedition before. It almost ALWAYS was due to the sunroof drain lines being clogged. I'd blow them out, and all would be well.

It's happening again, but this time the water is not coming in at the roof but from right below the parking brake release. I confirmed the sunroof drain line was clear (I could get colored water to flow through it).

I am thinking the water is coming in from either around the door seal or the windshield. Any ideas? I plan to explore some more with water and food coloring, but I find it odd that the water is migrating down to behind the parking brake release.

One area to check is the rubber accordion-style conduit that runs between the LF door and the A pillar (by the door hinges).

The conduit is a press-fit into the door and A pillar, and if dislodged or not a tight seal, it can leak water running down the A pillar, into the interior (near the LF door scuff panel). If the conduit is torn, water can enter and flow into the LF footwell. Inspect the conduit for tears or rips.

Squeeze the rubber conduit where it attaches to the A pillar and see if it is firmly seated (and not dislodged). There may be dirt and debris buildup under the conduit lip, which would permit water entry into the LF footwell.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the lower edge windshield support clip breaks off (age... fatigue ...) it will leave a hole at the lower corner of the windshield, right above the brake release. You have to remove the windshield cowling to inspect the area. If you find the clip broken or missing use some sealant to seal the hole. You'll probably break the retaining clips for the cowling but you can buy replacement clips on Amazon. You can also do some investigating by laying on the driver's floor and looking up under the dash while someone else runs a water hose in the suspected area. You might be able to actually see where it's coming in from.

-Mike

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Home Depot rents a very inexpensive powerful carpet dryer fan. Place one inside the truck and turn it on. Mix some very soapy water and brush it onto the truck from the top down. Bubbles = troubles.

Wolf

Reaction score
I have this issue in my truck. If you have a sunroof, check the drain on the driver side. Mine is plugged up and that overflows into the pillar, then down to the floor. Took out my blinker relay this summer.

Hope that helps.