Leaking shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03dblcabtaco

Reaction score
Anyone out there had a leaking shock on their low mileage expedition. About 5000 miles? Just wondering if this is something to keep an eye on? Replacement under warranty scheduled soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a front shock on my '11 go bad at about 20k miles. Seals blew completely and all the fluid came out all over the wheel well. Tomball Ford replaced, but it took a couple days because "parts weren't in stock". Other dealers may be able to give better turn-around or at least pre-order the shock.

Note that I have a friend in the aftermarket industry (in another state) and he says that the biggest complaint his customers have is that Ford is using really cheap shocks. some have even come apart (top and bottom tubes fully separating) on him when trying to work on vehicles. He recommends changing to an aftermarket shock when they need replacement. He even recommended this to me knowing that I wouldn't be able to have his shop do the work. If your dealer can do it quickly under warranty, that is fine. But it may be worth the cash to get a better shock and a better ride (I plan to in the next couple months).

OP
OP
03dblcabtaco

03dblcabtaco

Reaction score
Thanks. Tomball ford will also be doing my repairs. Will look into upgrading after warranty is up.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Tomball ford will also be doing my repairs. Will look into upgrading after warranty is up.

Don't know about your experience, but I took mine to Planet Ford for a brake problem this week, and the service was beyond my expectations. Troubleshooting, parts pick-up from the warehouse, two repairs, and returned to me in about 7 hours. Most Ford dealerships I have dealt with in the past would have taken 2 or 3 days for that repair. Planet Ford has earned my business from now on!

OP
OP
03dblcabtaco

03dblcabtaco

Reaction score
Good to know. Haven't had it fixed yet. But just noticed paint bubbling on liftgate. Am not happy so far. 6600 miles.

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know. Haven't had it fixed yet. But just noticed paint bubbling on liftgate. Am not happy so far. 6600 miles...

Hi 03dblcabtaco,

How did things go at the dealership? I'm happy to look into this and see how I can help; send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, preferred servicing dealer, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do some investigating.

Crystal

rgraetz

Reaction score
I had both rear shocks go out once around 12000 miles under warranty and the a second time around 37000 of course just out of warranty. We dont haul or tow anything with it.

OP
OP
03dblcabtaco

03dblcabtaco

Reaction score
Just had to have the left front replaced also rear glass seal was leaking. Are these just cheap struts? May go aftermarket or just go back to another make.