locked out- 2001 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hertfordnc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I loaned my daughter our 2001 Expedition. She locked herself out.

No crisis, she's at home (200 miles away)

I had not had the truck long enough to make the same mistake. She'll probably work something out but I was wondering;

How hard is it to break into these things? Any tips?

Also, the truck comes with a keypad on the door but we never looked into- didn't find a number in the owners manual. We only acquired the truck this year.

Will Ford give me a code from the VIN?

Thanks

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prolly not from the VIN since that's something that can be seen from the outside. You'll have to get a locksmith to open it.

You don't have any spare keys? If not, go to walmart and make a set. It doesn't have to be the chipped keys to open the door.

OP
OP
H

hertfordnc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh Yeah, i have a spare key- It's right here- 200 miles away. No way was I gonna' loan the car AND both keys.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, then lock smith it is. Not unless she starts guessing the key code. She has three tries before it blinks rapidly saying she'll have to wait a minute before trying again.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not that it does you any good now, but once you are inside if you look under the dashboard on the drivers side, kinda close to the firewall, and likely near the column will be a gray box with 5 numbers printed on it, that's your door code. sorry we didn't get that info to you sooner.

But, you could always bust a window, there's people here who would give a heck of a deal on a replacement because of the situation.

Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealer can change the 5 digit code to whatever you wnt for $$$$$

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they rnt that much of a pain. get a door wedge, and a wire coat hanger. then go to town. put the door wedge in the top of the door and try to press the button that way, put it in the window and up and under the window. side of the door(closest to the handle) and press it that way.

o and i dont know how to do any of this...

K9JRF

Reaction score
Once you regain entry you can look up under the dash (driver side) there is a box (if remember correctly near emergency brake against firewall) that will have the master code for the keypad in bold black numbers on a sticker. Once you have it you can use it or program addition access codes of your own choice.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you bought it from a dealer contact them in the morning and ask them to contact the PO and ask them if they remember the code. If it was an individual you can try and contact them if you still have that info. Did you pull out the owners package with the books etc., if so the card with the code may be in there. When I had my 08 I kept the card in the house just for emergencies like this.