Looking for a way to play Pandora...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HI, i'm trying to find a way to play pandora in our '04 xlt with a cd changer, is this an option, or what is suggested?

thanks, search didn't turn up for me...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd replace that unit, but there are (were) many adapters out that can help you achieve your goal.

On the face of your stereo, lower left there are two buttons. AM/FM and next to it, CD. Press CD *twice* and see if the word AUX appears in the display. Even though Ford's 6 disc in-dash changers all look similar, there were many differences. Yours may even say SAT instead of CD if you have a Sirius XM tuner.

If you press CD twice and AUX shows on the display, there is an adapter made by P.I.E. ( and likely others) that will plug in between your stereo and your 16 (or 20) wire harness on the back of the radio. You can then add a Bluetooth or 3.5 line to this adapter. If you don't get AUX on the display, there are other hacks - like I said, I'd probably move to update the stereo to something else. Alpine, Clairion, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer and Sony all make Pandora enabled units. You could also consider a BT solution that uses FM modulation and listen to Pandora on FM 89.5 or similar.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to keep your stock head unit, theirs a company on ebay called 1 factory radio, that sells earlier cassette factory head units that have the 3. Mm jack. They can also install one on yours. I emailed them last week. They said to do the installation on yours is $125.00, including shipping it back to you. I'm sure they can probably do the same to yours. 855-723-4699 is their #. Give them a call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeD

Reaction score
do you have the dvd entertainment in the rear? If so, for about 5 bucks you can get a RCA to headphone cable and plug into the inputs (red and white for sound). Its a cheap hack that works.

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
personally, i would just get a Bluetooth Fm transmitter. In my opinion its the cleanest, easiest and by far the cheapest solution, and you dont have to deal with whether or not your going to keep components if and when you get rid of the vehicle. unless of course youre not using a smartphone or device that has bluetooth for your music... in that case there are still cheap fm transmitters with various connectors for inputs. Thats my 2 cents.

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, i just ordered a bluetooth fm transmitter, thank you soooo much for the input, awesome.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Get the stock unit that comes on some of the expys that has the cassette player in it and use a cassette adapter and plug it to your phone... That's what I'm doing on my expy. Sound quality is on point... Might be cheapest option here

Wilson

Reaction score
I installed a new Pioneer X3800BHS DVD receiver. It includes the ability to play Spotify, Pandora, AM-FM Digital Radio, DvD/CD player, USB music player and Sirrius.

It was an easy install with the kit from Crutchfield, where I bought the radio. (you can also buy the unit cheaper at other places, but you won't get Crutchfield's excellent customer service if needed later - which I did in regard to wiring diagram).

Anyhow, for my money, and a simple less than 1 hour install, I get all of the above features plus back up cam, and front cam (both optional extra's), and my Expedition "feels" like I am driving a new model. Less than $500 total out the door.

My Expedition is in flawless condition, so by installing the new stereo, the updated look and feel is excellent from the drivers seat.

You also need to install the defeat to the reverse sense, and parking brake sense, a $15 part,
and 30 sec install....finally, I did install the converter so that all the Expedition's steering wheel radio functionality works.