Low trans fluid affect shifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all…
My transmission (07 Limited) leaked a good amount of fluid when it was sitting for a few weeks (it doesn’t leak when I drive it regularly though?!). As such, I finally checked the fluid yesterday and it was only about a quarter inch on the dipstick.

I’ve noticed it shifting kind of wonky lately too. Like it’ll upshift faster than usual at times. Would that be caused by low fluid? I estimate it’s about 2 quarts down.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all…
My transmission (07 Limited) leaked a good amount of fluid when it was sitting for a few weeks (it doesn’t leak when I drive it regularly though?!). As such, I finally checked the fluid yesterday and it was only about a quarter inch on the dipstick.

I’ve noticed it shifting kind of wonky lately too. Like it’ll upshift faster than usual at times. Would that be caused by low fluid? I estimate it’s about 2 quarts down.

Low transmission fluid (especially two quarts low) can affect shift quality and quickly damage your transmission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I truly doubt 1/4 inch would make a difference. Are you sure the transmission was level and the fluid was hot and in park when you checked it?

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I truly doubt 1/4 inch would make a difference. Are you sure the transmission was level and the fluid was hot and in park when you checked it?
To clarify…it was only a quarter inch on the dipstick, from the bottom. Well below the shaded area where it’s within range.