Lower Ball Joint replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my Expy in for an alignment yesterday and the tech told me my lower ball joints were bad. I thought to myself, I just put those on, didn't I? But I hadn't, I had forgotten to to put them on the last time I had my front suspension torn apart. So I set everything up in my driveway to do a lower ball jointectomy. I tore everything down and hammered the ball joint out within about 20 minutes. Then the headache started...... using the press to put the new lower BJ [best Bevis impression "he said BJ!"] I tried for at least 2 hours with every different configuration I could on that stupid BJ press and I could not get it to press in. So I said screw it I am gonna use one of the sleeves and the press disc from the kit along with my floor jack to press this little SOB in. Took me 10 minutes tops, once the BJ starts into it's hole I gave the lower A-arm a couple smacks with the hammer to persuade the BJ to seat all the way in. The other side only took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. Here is a pic to help anyone that has problems pressing in a new ball joint using the press. Just try the jack, it might work better than the correct tool for you like it did for me. Just make sure that you pull the rubber boot off before you press it in so it doesn't get pinched by the press sleeve.

IMG_1185.jpg

I was using a standard ball joint press that looks exactly like this.
otc-7249.gif

Also, here is a good thread on what all is involved with a ball joint replacement.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/364301-how-to-replace-the-ball-joints-on-your-97-03-f-150-4x4.html

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very helpful thread ya guys. If your working on ball joints and can't afford the press or to rent it, use that jack & hammer.

That's what the mechanic I hired used. rofl...

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I'm glad when I did mine I had full access to a shop with every tool known to man... and a damn good mechanic friend to watch him fix it for me...lol

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am just glad that the ball joints are done and my Expy is aligned now. Is drives down the road so much better now.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i got one side done tonight driver side upper and lower. if your gonna do the lower do the upper at the same time its easy and faster then the lower. unless you really want to tear it apart again. that press works awesome the way it comes... just put an impact on top. if its a weak impact then use a big breaker bar i had old one out and new one in in probably 20 min tops. and i bought my truck in tn so it is covered in rust.

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That kit is very useful. There is actually another kit made that has alot more adapters. They are designed for the 4 X 4 vehicles and larger trucks!

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i got one side done tonight driver side upper and lower. if your gonna do the lower do the upper at the same time its easy and faster then the lower.

+1 on replacing it all at once.

I forgot to replace the lower ball joints when I did my upper control arms, tie rod ends, anti-sway bar bushings, end links, and shocks.