Lower radiator hose - no hose clamp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I flushed my coolant this weekend (111k) on my '01 5.4 and was going to replace the radiator hoses (original) when I noticed there is no clamp connecting the bottom radiator hose to the radiator. It looks like some kind of snap ring. :confused:

How do I get this bad boy off? Is it some kind of quick disconnect? Has anyone gone back with a new hose / hose clamp?

Oh yeah - any recommendations on where to buy hoses? Was going to check O'Reilley or Autozone but haven't yet. Trying to avoid junk! Thanks much.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are generally a one-time use clamp removed by using vise grips if they're the kind i think you're describing, open up your vise grips, or pliers, and close up loosening the clamp to allow you to go to work. alternatively, they're carefully cut off and replaced with regular hose clamps, two if you have room on the bib.

Most of the major auto stores have the hoses and i've found that keeping them clean and occasionally wiping w/some type of protectant keeps them supple for many years.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, 1997. I just couldn't tell how to remove it. It looked like a wire snap-ring of sorts that I had to "open" up to loosen, and that I could easily unsprung the thing (i.e. one-time use). Why would Ford design it this way? Weird.

Was just thinking it wouldn't hurt to replace a 13-year old coolant hose, you know? Don't want to get stranded for being lazy!

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our lower radiator hoses seem to be a special order part at most auto stores I've seen. It's a very strange design that sucks IMO. Not only is the clamp/connector design strange but the hose itself has smaller hoses coming off it I thought too

Milwaukee

Reaction score
I forget what name of that thingy. It like electric wiring shrink.

U put that on hose then use heater gun it shrink. I HATE THOSE. Problem is how you remove them without cut clamp on hose. They should have use spring clip like van and superduty use them.

MeanGreen

Reaction score
I just recently replaced swapped my little dinky radiator with one for a 5.4L and ran into this problem with the bottom hose. I just cut the hose behind the "heat shrink" or whatever it was then cut it off itself. Had plenty of hose to shove onto the radiator and clamp down with a hose clamp.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are heat shrink band clamps. Good idea on the drawing board but poor in practice. They are also used on big trucks - I just love them to death.
Use a new blade in your knife and carefully cut the band if you want to reuse the hose. Cut from the outside of the band to the middle a few times then snap it with a screwdriver.

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry guys but from what your saying I can re'use the lower hose by cutting off that twist clamp? I just replaced the radiator and man that lower hose was a pain in the @## to get off. I can only imagine trying to get the rest of the hoses off that all connect together down there to replace that one. So if I cut it right behind the twist clamp I can slide it back onto my lower port on the radiator and use a regular clamp?