Lug nut insanity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have not had the swollen issue yet. But went to pull the wheel today to install my UCAs.
Low and behold one of my lug nuts was buggered and stripped to all hell.
Just had my oil changed and tires rotated a bit over a week ago so here I sit at the shop waiting for them to fix their screw up.

Guess I’ll go ahead and replace them.

Derp

Reaction score
Which lugs are people running for 2015-2017 models since they are different?

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the Gorilla nuts (NOT an actual gorilla's...erm, ummm...yeah..you know what I mean) on my '11 when I put on the '21 FWonFiddy wheels. These lug nuts are great, better than the problematic stock ones, and look good as hell, black on black wheels.

I do wish I'd gotten the 1.5" instead of the 2" now, but I'm also considering a 1/4" spacer so I'll have to run longer studs if I do. We'll see.

My combo fills the wells out nicely, but I think it would look a little better with a slightly wider track width.

Anywho, I recommend the Gorilla stuff...here's what I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSDHHN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a shot of my newly installed wheels/tires and the Gorilla stuff holding them on
WfJiexA.jpg

Autumn Red

Reaction score
I had to get new lug nuts when I upgraded the wheels on my '06 as the original nuts were covered. I chose to get OEM Ford ones, about $70.00 on eBay for 24 of them.

I noticed that my 13/16" socket began to distort the cover when I started to torque the first one. I switched to a 21mm 6 point socket and used my torque wrench (as always, plus anti-sieze) and never had a problem.

I'm thinking that a PO or repair shop may have used a 13/16" wrench and once they were damaged, it only got worse every time after that.

Related: The new +1 wheels I bought were take-offs from an F-150, and I had to saw off about 1" of the rear half shafts in order to fit the center caps. I just used a hacksaw, took about 5 minutes on each side.

Mr. T sez, "I pity the fool who don't use anti sieze on the lug nuts!" I've used it since the early 1980s on dozens of different cars and trucks, and never had a problem with them loosening, including habitual speeding > 120MPH in a Porsche 928S. No off road stuff though.

Apologies if this has been covered up-thread... first day here.

AR

Goldmember

Reaction score
Ordered and installed these for my 2017 EL platinum. The Ford lug nuts are garbage and got tired of prying them out of the socket since they are all swollen and deformed.

Dorman 611-008FK Wheel Nut Kit M14-1.50 Metric - 21 mm Hex, 44.5 mm Length with Lock for Select Ford/Lincoln Models, Chrome (OE FIX)