Making the pig skinny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So just trying to figure this out. What have y'all removed in the interest of weight reduction. I already know the basics, i.e. Spare tire, carpet etc. I'm not looking to turn my truck into a dragster, just looking at dropping some weight as over the next year I will be adding weight back via skid plates, bumpers and other off road equipment. My plans for bumpers are going tube bumper with skids route(prerunner style, picture of idea below). Hopefully those will weigh a little less than stock and have better clearance off-road.

Any ideas of stuff to remove and keep it a daily driver for the family, chime in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 64

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't escape the weight gain, maybe it would be a good idea to regear your diffs to help accommodate the extra weight, also a bonus to have torque down low for off-road purposes

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a new fuel tank. One that's smaller. You don't need so much gasoline if you only do city driving.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a new fuel tank. One that's smaller. You don't need so much gasoline if you only do city driving.

Excellent suggestion. LOL But why spend money for a new smaller tank just to reduce weight. Don't you think it would cost less if he were to keep the same tank in case he needs the max fuel capacity and just only fill it half way instead of a full tank.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So just trying to figure this out. What have y'all removed in the interest of weight reduction. I already know the basics, i.e. Spare tire, carpet etc. I'm not looking to turn my truck into a dragster, just looking at dropping some weight as over the next year I will be adding weight back via skid plates, bumpers and other off road equipment. My plans for bumpers are going tube bumper with skids route(prerunner style, picture of idea below). Hopefully those will weigh a little less than stock and have better clearance off-road.

Any ideas of stuff to remove and keep it a daily driver for the family, chime in.

Yet another good Idea REMOVE THE SPARE TIRE. that way when your back in the boondocks 4 wheeling and you get a flat/blowout you wont have a spare to get your self out

OP
OP
DUNE RCR

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in va and do a lot of traveling down to North Carolina for some beach riding and I head north for trails. As for daily drive I don't go very far, spare tire could be brought to me if needed. Now when I go out of town, I have always tossed the spare in the bed area. I'm just trying to figure out the little useless things to get rid of that could drop weight.

OP
OP
DUNE RCR

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't escape the weight gain, maybe it would be a good idea to regear your diffs to help accommodate the extra weight, also a bonus to have torque down low for off-road purposes

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Yeah I plan on regearing when I go up in tire size. Haven't decided yet if I want 35" or 37". When I decide which tire size I want them I will regear accordingly. Since I have the npi engine, when I do my rebuild in a year or two I'm looking into a few upgrades. Haven't decided yet what I want to do as I'm still do my homework on the engine to figure out what's best.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in va and do a lot of traveling down to North Carolina for some beach riding and I head north for trails. As for daily drive I don't go very far, spare tire could be brought to me if needed. Now when I go out of town, I have always tossed the spare in the bed area. I'm just trying to figure out the little useless things to get rid of that could drop weight.

Good thinking Maybe get rid of the driver that would save weight. Just remember murphy's law and when you need to call someone to bring you the spare you will be in a spot with no phone service or they won't answer. Best way to save weight is not to add anything you don't need and keep what you do need.

Also I sure wouldn't want to get stuck for any length of time without a spare Imagine how your feel if it takes a few hours for someone to bring you a spare when if it were there you would be on your way in less than 30 minutes.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have read this 5 times now and all I can't say is :wtf:

Removing the carpet and spare tire will save you, what, about 100lbs.??? Like that's going to make jack shyte of a difference on a 6,000lb. rig!

Face it man. Expeditions are big, heavy, and solid. That's why we all love them!
The only way to change that is by changing the vehicle.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if you have a sunroof. But if you need this to still function like a family hauler then your options are limited. Sound insulation, center consoles, 3rd row seats, the rear AC system, 3rd row seat belts are just some measures I can think of to reduce weight.