Matching the headlights to the LED fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like some others, it bothered me that my LED fog lights don't match the stock halogen headlights so
I bought a set of these LEDS that should match my LED fog lights in color and match the output of the stock headlights. I think that they will fit, the H-11 socket will be a match but didn't know they came with the little box of mini-drivers. We'll see but they were cheap enough that I won't be too upset if they don't work. 34 bucks for the set, delivered!

I saw another members post about the really nice(expensive) lights that he used and got my color/connection/lumens info from his post then decided to see if I could find them cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162168015002?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

jeff

LED LIGHTS.jpg

20161208_193527_resized.jpg

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
H11 on left, stock HB3 on right.jpg The information in the owners manual is WRONG! As the pic shows, the owners manual shows a H11 socket for the low beams. This is incorrect, it's actually a HB3 . The pic shows the actual lowbeam bulb I removed. Don't know about the '16's but on my '17, the manual is wrong. I triple-checked to be sure that the bulb removed really was the low beam and it was....the outside bulb for the projector lens. What a PITA! The pic shows the difference between the H11 LED and the stock HB3 Halogen sockets.

jeff
\'17 Expy owners manual- lights.jpg \'17 Expy stock  low beam bulb.jpg

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was up at the dealer to get my permanent tags yesterday and showed all this to their Parts & Service mgrs...neither had ever seen this before but both agreed that the manual is dead wrong!

Ah well, not their fault and besides, I already ordered the replacements that WILL fit!

jeff

MDEVIR

Reaction score
What did you end up buying and did it meet your expectations? Like the conversion idea and would do similar. Can you post link?

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought my leds from xenondepot and the 9005/hb3 is for the projectors and H11 for non projector headlamps. Mine are 5700k hope they match.

Here are the ones I got.

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-Xtreme-LED-kit-p/xt-led-9005.htm

I didn't know that Ford made 2 types of headlights. The low beams are projectors and the high are non-projectors but I'm not replacing them since the fog lights go out when the high beams are activated. My low beams are obviously the projector type so I've ordered these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122240193792?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The ones that you chose Idolan should be correct IF you have the non-projectors which apparently, you do. It's odd that the Ford guys at the dealer didn't mention the two types though. I had read elsewhere here that the LED fogs are 6000K so that's what I ordered but my guess is the 5700's that you got will be very close too.

FWIW, I'll post up once I get the replacements. The first set was 35 bucks and I reached out to the original seller who was very cool and agreed to accept the returned set. The second set was only 25 bucks and should be here sometime in the next couple of weeks.

It would have made it a lot easier had Ford correctly listed the bulb types in the manual though.

BTW- WTTC Mdevir!

jeff

Idolan

Reaction score
I got the 9005 which are for the projector headlamps the H11 are for non projector headlights.

17Expy

Reaction score
What did you do about the dust covers? I did install led to match the light color of the fogs. I'm a little concerned about the heat disipation. Any issues?20161223_171759.jpg20161223_171812.jpg 20161223_171759.jpg20161223_171812.jpg

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got the type with the separate box, in the other thread I told you that mine didn't have the separate box but don't worry about heat....it's one of the reasons that LEDs are so much more efficient than Halogens....they don't convert energy into heat like those superhot Halogens do....there is very little heat with LEDs so you will be fine with the setup you have. I would install the little box inside the nacelle, at the bottom so that it is out of the way and the stiff wiring should keep it from bouncing around.

You can see my install here& I also discuss the fact that the manual is wrong:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2017-expedition-manual-correction-low-beams.30927/

jeff

17Expy

Reaction score
Jeff thank you. I drove the Expy for about 1.5 hours straight and then took the headlamps assembly out to check and seemed to be ok. I am very happy with the outcome so far.