Matching the headlights to the LED fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Ostrem

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thinking about doing this mod to my 2015 EL. It is a Canadian car, an Expedition MAX (AKA EL), with full time DRL's. Was wondering if the LED's will have any issues while running in DRL mode?

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What really sucks is that I just clicked on the link where I bought my $26 LED bulbs and they have RAISED the price all the way up to FORTY NINE BUCKS + SHIPPING! DON'T GET SCREWED, BUY THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Here is the description to search with in order to match the lowbeam headlights with your LED fog lights:

120W 12000LM COB LED Headlight Kit Light Bulbs 6500K White High Power 9005 HB3

I found one option here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-120W-1...ash=item5b297c4ba3:g:HWQAAOSwgZ1XttgM&vxp=mtr

but you can find your own. Shame that the seller is gouging after a few sales.

jeff

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be curious as to how they look & work Matt since they emit a little less light with the 4,000 lumens/36 watts vs the 6,000 lumens/60 watt set I installed but I don't imagine it will be a huge difference. I used a reference in my neighborhood since I leave for work before God wakes up. I noted how far in front and to each side the stock lights worked so I would have something to compare to when the new bulbs got installed. Just a suggestion.

jeff

Matt Ostrem

Reaction score
OK, thanks to Jeff I realized I purchased the wrong lights from Amazon. Way too many choices and must've clicked on wrong one. Went to Ebay and found the same 120V/ 12000LM/ 6500K/HB3/ 9005 he recommended for $29. Will update when installed...

JakeEL

Reaction score
Added a light bar and ordered up some (hopefully) matching LED headlights. Will add more pictures once I get the headlights installed. Anyone know off the top of their head what bulb number the parking/turn signal bulb is below the high beam? image1.JPG image2.JPG

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Guys any idea what the average life span is on the LED replacement bulbs? Is it true the brightness fades overtime?

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jake, if you go back in this thread, I included a copy of the owners manual page that shows most of the bulb specs so you should find it there. Keep in mind that the lowbeam specified is incorrect! it's actually an HB3

Matt, glad that you saw that. It would have sucked to get it all done and not be happy because of the lower output....you got some nice bulbs and at very good price! I think that you'll love them! Just be careful sliding the nacelles forward....the outsides like to be pulled forward a little ahead of the insides. At least on my truck it seemed that way. You may have to reach up under the truck to remove the plastic flat piece that slide over the pins. They come right off and I didn't bother to replace them when I was done...that was 2,000 miles ago now!

I don't know if I mentioned it but I have factory HIDS on my car and these are every bit as good. Now I'm thinking of doing the high beams because I really don't like Halogen bulbs. Way too much energy is converted to heat instead of light so I may change them one of these days.

jered--I've never heard of LED's fading over time. Fluorescents do, but not LED's from what I know. LED's will also last a VERY long time compared to every other light solution out there!

jeff