Mayday--tranny mayday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The truck has been sitting for a bit till I changer filter in the tranny & 5-6 quarts in the tranny. I have put MAYBE 100 miles since purchase. Today I find this !

Is my " thinking " correct.. that the tranny cooler internal of the radiator has a defect.. cracked and coolant is getting into the tranny?

I do not see the same stuff in the overflow… BUT it has a very viscous feel to it..

We are draining the torque converter now….

Thought's?

Attachments

• IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 143
OP
OP
vigman

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spoke with my transmission man.. and he said the Yoo-Hoo syndrome ( and I'm old enough to get that ) … New Radiator , coolant, 20 qts of fluid ( the cheap shit ) for initial flush…. coming up.. Hold the mayo…. Well better now then another 200 miles...

OP
OP
vigman

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lines cleaned , torque converter drained, pan out , cleaned,Magnet removed , BLACK GOO removed. Oveflow cleaned ,radiator In ,coolant going in, about 16 of 17 quarts of ATF accounted for … new stuff going in ( Crossing fingers ) …...

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing it right! Certainly cheaper than a new transmission.

OP
OP
vigman

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ANNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD VICTORY!
No YOO HOO on the stick..
Shifts are smoother..
and NOW I have a REALLY REALLY FIRM upper hose!
Which proves I was leaking somewhere!!

Radiator couplings were NOT TIGHT from Plastic tank to internal cooler.
But guess what….. it was a new Auto zone radiator that came out ..
And the very same one went in..
Can you say lifetime warranty with a SPARE?

ks10308

Reaction score
Leave the transmission alone. Ford doesn't have good transmissions. From past experience I learned to leave the transmission alone and just add ATF as needed. I drove lincolns and mercurys for years and I learned that if you mess with the transmission in a ford, it will fail very prematurely. In 1997, I went to the best transmission repair shop in NYC. He cleaned and redid the whole thing, perfect. 10,000 miles later, the transmission failed totally. this wasnt the first time that kind of thing happened

OP
OP
vigman

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really.. So your opinion is to just drive it with the coolant leak , with contaminated ATF..?

I cannot afford a NEW transmission, and the radiator MUST be replaced... So the drain & refill is the best ( and only option ).As far as Ford having "NOT GOOD" transmissions.. I beg to differ....ANY transmission will fail with improper or NO service. And I would much rather have this one than none at all.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leave the transmission alone. Ford doesn't have good transmissions. From past experience I learned to leave the transmission alone and just add ATF as needed. I drove lincolns and mercurys for years and I learned that if you mess with the transmission in a ford, it will fail very prematurely. In 1997, I went to the best transmission repair shop in NYC. He cleaned and redid the whole thing, perfect. 10,000 miles later, the transmission failed totally. this wasnt the first time that kind of thing happened

This is the usual cause of the transmissions going sour. lack of maintenance and attention. Don't let your bad tranny repair change your views on proper maintenance.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a trans flush fluid change at 200k due to the trans issue not shifting into drive and 30,000 miles later it is still running fine. The best shops still make mistakes. Its all about keeping the transmission cool. External trans cooler makes a world of difference.

OP
OP
vigman

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cooler does equal longer transmission life.. by a pretty big order.....
Day 2 things are still LOOKIN GOOD~