MPG tricks that work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
It's not just that, gasoline engines are more preferred by the general public overall

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think giving the diesel option might be interesting, those that have been around diesels know they come with inherent problems. One being that initial cost, wow a huge jump over the other options. Also, something they don't tell you is the operational cost. Diesels are way more expensive to operate, don't let anyone kid you any different. All their parts are more expensive and normally they use much more oil and many more filters needing changed. And they are really not a mom car to go short distances for daily driving. Diesels need heated up before being shut down. Wet cool stops don't help gas engines either, but they can take it a little better.
Diesels need worked, so for rigs pulling or hauling, a great choice. Everyday short town runs, not so much.
And with new emission regulations have killed the mileage the diesels once had over the gas counterparts. So for the initial cost jump, maintenance costs and fuel costs just don't pencil out for any fuel mileage savings.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
recently took a 1700 mile trip, but what ive seen so far drivin btw 60and 64 nets me low 20s (most ive seen was 23mpg) 65 gets me 20ish, avg 74 gave me 19mpg these numbers vary high and low depending on road variation like mtn highways or flat stretches, fresh tar, concrete or washboards, i dnt wry bout city drivin as its too abysmal to wry about

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These vehicles desperately need the new 4 cam, 5Liter Cummins
turbodiesel V8's that are offered in the new Nissan Titans to make
Expeditions the perfect vehicle. The modular engines are pretty wide,
so if there ever becomes such a thing as a Cummins Diesel V8
crate engine with computer, bet it would drop right in.
Of course, buying a new one with this option would be awesome.
Stephen

Last edited:

rctsombra

Reaction score
I have an 03 XLT 4x4, 5.4, 3.73s, 90k miles. In order to improve mileage, I ran Royal Purple synthetic, a Gibson cat-back, and a K&N intake kit. Then I replaced the tires with Wrangler AT/S, which likely killed any gains I might have seen. I get around 13-14 on the road and less in town. The best I ever got out of it was with the stock air intake running a K&N filter, the Gibson exhaust, and synthetic oil - 15-17 on a road trip to CA. It is what it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 16
Weighs 6400 lbs, this is my normal ! Load out of stuff that comes along for ride.
17+ mpg at highway speeds of 75+
I can squeeze 18 to 20 in town.
Light on throttle helps
But I didn't buy it for mpg
I bought it for towing rating
3:73 gears , 4wd
Comfy ride that is easy for my 6' 3" 240 lb frame to enter and exit .
Plus EL. Give the two large dogs more cargo space to stretch out in. And still seat four .
If I run 87 no ethanol I get 18 to 19 at highway speeds
Run a/c cold as crap