My 07 backup camera install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

thetechie01

Reaction score
Glad you posted here, it wouldn't let me message you. I ran along the side/floor. I looked at going the headliner route, but I have a sunroof, and there just isn't any room. I pulled power for the mirror and camera from the reverse wire that goes to the factory mirror. Still works great and I have been super happy with it!

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good man. I'm on the hunt for a new (to me) Expedition EL so if I end up with an XLT, I'll be looking to install the cam also.

Otters07

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up a Kenwood display for the Expy and then will start looking into a camera set up after l install. Anyone have experience hooking up a cam to an aftermarket display? Im sure its pretty easy (plug and pay?)...also off topic but has anybody tried to hook up the factory fold down DVD to work with the display? I have one alread and would like that to be able to share the screen from up front/vice versa/and still be able to use each separately for movies in the back and music for the driver.

OP
OP
T

thetechie01

Reaction score
I have hooked up many cameras to after market units. Usually the hardest part is finding a trigger wore for the reverse.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trigger wire

I have hooked up many cameras to after market units. Usually the hardest part is finding a trigger wore for the reverse.

I just tied the trigger wire at the mirror to the power wire like they said I could do. The camera trigger, I tied to the left backup light at the rear. Works great! I could have run a trigger wire along with the video cable, but didn't see the need.

fatherflan25

Reaction score
how did you connect the trigger/power wire to the reverse light? did you have to extend the wires?
I have a Pyle PLCM16BP License Plate Frame that i am going to connect to a JVC Nav unit that i already have in the dash

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did mine on my '09 Expy EL, I went to Harbor Freight Tools and picked up a set of thin fiberglass rods for about $10. They screw together and make a long rod that I pushed above the headliner to the front. I taped the camera wire to that and pulled it through. Easy. Later, I installed an aftermarket radio with GPS. It has an input for the camera, so I just plugged it in. I can see my trailer hitch too.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is really easy to run the wires along the passenger side. You barely even need to remove the rear inner panel. Just pull the top out and drop the wire down having both ends on either side in place. Then under the door sills that just pop up. Under the sill is where you will locate reverse wire. After running the wires through the rear hatch it only took about 10mns to run them down the side and up to the HU. I would stay away from running them above the headliner. It is more difficult and more involved. Especially when the wires you need to tap in to are easily located under the door sills.

Otters- search my posts and you will find info on displaying the dvd on the factory HU.

Last edited:

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple of questions. Why is there a reverse wire going to the mirror? Is that for the OEM backup display in the mirror? If so, could the rest of the wiring be there for a vehicle that had the camera as an option (2008)?