My Expedition Modifications and Write-Ups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm back again... I worked out a deal with JL on a 3rd gen Expedition EL stealthbox. I have a 2007 standard length model. The deal was basically that if this thing doesn't fit, I can send it back.

The other reason they are letting me do this is, if I can make very minor changes to what they already have in order to make it fit, they may update their production or website/instructions. Obviously, this means more money for them because of another vehicle fitment.

This thing bolted right in. Not 100% positive why JL said it wouldn't fit but it definitely does. The only real problem I encountered was with the grille. The EL panel is a little bit longer giving the grille a bit more room to take up on the panel. It doesn't want to fit all that well on the standard length model. I may go back and try to find a way to mount this.

Also, the bass performance was awesome with the storage tray out of the panel and with the seats down and cargo out of the truck. I'm not sure which one is robbing me of bass but I plan to find out. If it is the storage tray in the top of the panel, I'll build a small grille to take place of that tray since it never gets used anyway.

If it is the seats or the cargo, I guess I'll just have to tune around it.

I'll be updating this thread with more findings over the next week or so.

th_20130314_130654.jpg th_20130314_131019.jpg th_20130314_140022.jpg th_20130314_140030.jpg th_20130314_195227.jpg th_20130314_200519.jpg th_20130314_202207.jpg th_20130314_202817.jpg th_20130314_210210.jpg th_20130314_211359.jpg

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I ended up doing for a grille. I never liked the idea of that square grille for mine to begin with... thought it looked cheesy.

Mine is made up of a JL 10" trim ring with a grille mounted in it. You can buy the grille separately but the trim ring you have to get from a local dealer or call JL direct. The other option is to take the trim ring you get with the stealthbox off since it is behind the panel anyway then mount the grille in it.

I popped the plastic rivets out of the rear side panel in the corner locations which just happen to fit every other hole of the trim ring almost perfectly. Then I used those little... I dunno, I call them speed clips... the little clips you always get with new speakers that you place on the metal and run the screw through. I put those on the plastic so I had something to screw into and DONE. I have no rattles and amazingly, while it is about twice the depth of the supplied grille, my third row actually folds past it by maybe a 1/16th of an inch.

I removed all of my cargo and left the second row seats up and the majority of the bass that I had lost is back. I may still pop that storage tray out and see if I get any further improvement.

th_20130315_200659-1.jpg

CJ0920

Reaction score
My Expedition

Really liked your results with the dipped trim. I was thinking of doing mine as well recently, just not sure yet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really liked your results with the dipped trim. I was thinking of doing mine as well recently, just not sure yet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the last time I did it, going rate on a can was like 6.50 and I think I used 8 or 9. Well worth it to be able to peel it off if you don't like it. I'm going to invest in a sprayer system and buying gallons of it this summer so I can do full car dips and hopefully get better adhesion on my trim so it lasts longer going through car washes on regular occasion.

CJ0920

Reaction score
I saw you also took off the running boards. Mind me asking what your gonna do with them? If I dip my trim I'd probably have to remove the running boards as well, the dip wont hold up to foot traffic.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are just chillin' in the attic. Didn't like them to begin with so they are staying off. The dip definitely won't hold up to the foot traffic. I had my whole back bumper dipped and it held up to me climbing in and out of the back for a couple weeks but I ended up peeling it off the step section.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered what should hopefully be all the LEDs needed to convert all of the interior lighting as well as the license plate lights and the puddle lamps on eBay. Total investment into the project so far is like $27. If this goes well and when funds permit my projector retrofit, I'll also be swapping the rest of the exterior bulbs to LED. The front signals will be the switchback style. When parking lights are on they light up white and when the turn signal is engaged the white cuts out and the amber section flashes until the signal is turned off. Most of the I've got tracking information on 2 of the items so far and should start seeing them towards the beginning of next week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington