My Expedition Modifications and Write-Ups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks Good!

Thank you, sir!

Update on the TPMS issue. Drove home with the new pipe last night. For the first 20ish miles, the error was "Tire Pressure Low". After that, it become "Tire Pressure System Fault". When I left for work this morning, there was nothing, no chimes, lights, errors. :headbang: It was absolutely beautiful and I almost cried out in joy. But I decided to postpone my celebration till I got to the 20ish mile marker. Then it happened... "DING" "Tire Pressure System Fault".

After doing a ton of research on other forums for Fords that use our style of information display, it is coming to the conclusion that the band style sensors, do indeed, need a constant rotation in order to operate properly.:upyours::banghead: :suicide:

I do have a question for you, Matt, if you're still reading this. Any pictures I've seen of the band sensors for Fords have been blue. Mine are grey. Haven't read or seen anything about these grey sensors. Any ideas?

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you, sir!
After doing a ton of research on other forums for Fords that use our style of information display, it is coming to the conclusion that the band style sensors, do indeed, need a constant rotation in order to operate properly.:upyours::banghead: :suicide:

I do have a question for you, Matt, if you're still reading this. Any pictures I've seen of the band sensors for Fords have been blue. Mine are grey. Haven't read or seen anything about these grey sensors. Any ideas?

Yup still reading. :happy160:

Here is some info tha may be useful to you.

Per the shop manual:
Tire pressure sensors are manufactured in multiple colors based on their application. When installing a new sensor, make sure the color of the sensor being installed matches the color of the sensor that was removed. The different colored sensors are not interchangeable.

Also:
The tire pressure sensors will go into a "sleep mode" after 30 minutes of inactivity to conserve battery power. The sensors do not transmit information while in sleep mode. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information.

Training:
NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the smart junction box (SJB).

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the activation tool, attempt to activate the same sensor with the activation tool. If the sensor still does not respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least 1/4 of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again.

NOTE: The SJB has a 2-minute time limit between sensor responses. If the SJB does not recognize any 1 of the 4 tire pressure sensors during this time limit, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the entire procedure must be repeated.

NOTE: For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate. For vehicles with the same tire pressure for front and rear tires, tire rotation will not affect the system.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
2.Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
•The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
6.NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the activation tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the activation tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB. Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.

7.Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the activation tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

8.NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

Matt

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
H&S makes a tuning system for the 6.4 PowerStrokes. Just read that H&S has also released a daisy chain device that allows for disabling/adjusting the TPMS system on those trucks. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel is coming soon?

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A seat belt is a safety device as well, one required by law here. Needless to say, it isn't one that I follow. If I cared about being safe, I wouldn't leave my house.

But here is why I don't care for TPMS. I don't need a flashing light and message on a display to tell me when my tire is low for one. And for two, I'm not spending the money on a second set of sensors for my new wheels.

You can call me cheap if you want. I don't need a babysitter in my vehicle telling me what to do.

So an 18 inch wheel tpms won't work with a 20 inch wheel? Even OEM wheels?

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So an 18 inch wheel tpms won't work with a 20 inch wheel? Even OEM wheels?

The sensors will work with pretty much whatever wheel you need them to. They are strapped to the wheel via adjustable straps and a bracket with adhesive.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sensors will work with pretty much whatever wheel you need them to. They are strapped to the wheel via adjustable straps and a bracket with adhesive.

That is good to hear, I'm keeping an eye out for four Ford 3786 oem 20's.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score

For what its worth. I 'had' factory band sensors. One broke off and bounced around inside the wheel. I replaced it with a stem style (so I have 3 band and 1 stem) and my system still works great - reprogrammed it all with the little Ford tool I bought from the dealer. This is on 22" wheels - not factory.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what its worth. I 'had' factory band sensors. One broke off and bounced around inside the wheel. I replaced it with a stem style (so I have 3 band and 1 stem) and my system still works great - reprogrammed it all with the little Ford tool I bought from the dealer. This is on 22" wheels - not factory.

I have heard of people successfully changing over to the stem style. Glad to see someone on this forum has had success. Might be an option.

Haven't been driving the truck much lately, and since I had the day off, I decided to take care of a few things that needed addressed.

Drivers door puddle lamp has decided to start flickering... Upon inspection, it looks like one the bulb started to get corroded and one of the diodes in it had died. Replaced with a new one and its all good again. Thanks to Matt for the mirror disassembly guide, this job is very straightforward.

Alarm detail work... I never installed the LED and had the door trigger input connected to the dome lamps. Installed the LED in between the AUX and CIG lighter on the dash panel and made a harness that kept each door latch trigger diode isolated from each other. Pretty sure my neighbors are pissed that the alarm went off so many times during testing. Oh well.

New issue developed over the last week of sitting... My low beams quit working. Had myself puzzled for a couple hours. Didn't know they weren't working when I pulled it into the garage, so I thought I had screwed something up disconnecting harnesses from the SJB. Once I finished up the alarm details, I dug into the headlights. Hi beams worked fine which told me the relay box from TRS wasn't getting 12v on the low circuit. Pulled the headlight and started disconnecting harnesses. The one that plugs into the relay box had a wire that looked prematurely worn. When I disconnected this one and looked at the pins, one looks a little corroded. Plugged them back together and got my low beams back, but as soon as I let go, they died again. I decided to jump right in and just hardwire the damned thing. Wired it up and it works beautifully. Upon further inspection, it appears that one of the pins had been getting forced out of the harness plug. I left some extra wire on the plug end in case I decided to wire it back in.

I resealed my headlights about 2 weeks ago to try to conquer the condensation issue. I used a ton more sealer this time around. I am still having a condensation issue but it isn't half as bad as it was. May bake them again to see if I can squeeze them together tighter.

The Indianapolis 4 Wheel Jamboree is only a few weeks away so getting these things sealed up tight has been bumped up high on the agenda. I'll also be purchasing the whole set of BrakeMotive rotors and pads this week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT