My personal opinion of the two body styles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, I do not care for the first gens a bit. I think they look ridiculous and way too rounded, inside and out- like the designers at Ford found out that vehicles could have round things on the interior and exterior, so they made everything ridiculously rounded, so not a fan. It probably has a lot to do with that generation of F150 being my least favorite F150 ever, and since the Expedition shares a lot of the look With the F150, there we go...

I like the second gen Expedition a lot, I think it looks beefier and more truck like, and I prefer the third gen the most, but still love me a good second gen.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a 2nd Gen and I have a 3rd Gen, and I am a big fan of the 3rd Gen. It has everything that the 1st Gen except the solid axle which, makes it ride better. Never really cared for the first gens. Had a friend that had one it was a nice big vehicle but I'd take a new 4th gen over 1st any day. Just my nickels worth.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's better about the 2nd or 3rd gen front ends?

Personally, I do not care for the first gens a bit. I think they look ridiculous and way too rounded, inside and out- like the designers at Ford found out that vehicles could have round things on the interior and exterior, so they made everything ridiculously rounded, so not a fan. It probably has a lot to do with that generation of F150 being my least favorite F150 ever, and since the Expedition shares a lot of the look With the F150, there we go...

I like the second gen Expedition a lot, I think it looks beefier and more truck like, and I prefer the third gen the most, but still love me a good second gen.

He summed it up, it was Ford's attempt at aerodynamics... It was not the best call.

The second gen is probably my favorite looking, third is a close second, looks better as a navigator IMHO. And first gen while it may hold a small spot in my heart as I learnt to drive in my mother's 98 F150 (making myself sound young there). So I'll always be a bit partial, is not that great. Good for a pre-runner looking build though.

But as a guy who wanted a "Dad-Mobile" for camping and offroading, a first gen fit the bill better with the solid axle and more paths for lifting/upgrades.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He summed it up, it was Ford's attempt at aerodynamics... It was not the best call.

The second gen is probably my favorite looking, third is a close second, looks better as a navigator IMHO. And first gen while it may hold a small spot in my heart as I learnt to drive in my mother's 98 F150 (making myself sound young there). So I'll always be a bit partial, is not that great. Good for a pre-runner looking build though.

But as a guy who wanted a "Dad-Mobile" for camping and offroading, a first gen fit the bill better with the solid axle and more paths for lifting/upgrades.

I thought you were talking suspension. My bad

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unrelated (but also related to the comment above mine) I want to throw in solid axles under my 2nd gen, cause I like solids lol. I don't know, it would be a long shot but awesome

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh **** no, I'm still tempted to rip out the IFS and throw a Dana 44 up front... I'm old school with axles.

My long term plan is to take an 80's era f250 4x4, shorten the frame and put the expy body on it. I've been checking craigslist and I can pick one up for 2-3k. Not sure if it'll work but that's the idea and I like projects.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My .02 is the 2nd gen. Exterior wise I thought the second gen was the best looking. I'd argue for it even still against the new ones for 18'. The second gens back end looked more natural to me I think it was the tail light design. And I came from the 3rd gen so no bias here.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unrelated (but also related to the comment above mine) I want to throw in solid axles under my 2nd gen, cause I like solids lol. I don't know, it would be a long shot but awesome

My long term plan is to take an 80's era f250 4x4, shorten the frame and put the expy body on it. I've been checking craigslist and I can pick one up for 2-3k. Not sure if it'll work but that's the idea and I like projects.

I would definitely swing by, and offer services in exchange for beer and bullshitting on both of these projects.