My sync is the worst

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajfb004

Reaction score
This has to be "Hands Down" the worst engineered radio/voice program on the planet. Mine quit working after one day of ownership. Bluetooth off and will not stay on, can't find phone , voice commands don't even work for the radio function. I accept that I bought a used vehicle but with only 30k miles I would hope that the electronics would work.

Decided I'm going to pull it out and drop in a pioneer new system. at least i can rely on Siri to work with the iPhone . Ford built a great SUV but dropped in a spit polished turd for a radio.

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know if there's an update for it perhaps? I have a 2014 Limited, and honestly, I can't believe how good Sync is...rock solid. My only complaint, is due to the amount of music on my USB stick, every once and a while it has an issue with the playlists.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also look into the update. You might have to plug it into a computer that has a wifi connection in your driveway. The Ford's do not have a built-in wifi feature (stupid Chevrolet) so it might not be able to update anything other than maps through the current connection. Worth a look because that just sounds like buggy software to me.

FordIVTteam

Reaction score
This has to be "Hands Down" the worst engineered radio/voice program on the planet. Mine quit working after one day of ownership. Bluetooth off and will not stay on, can't find phone , voice commands don't even work for the radio function. I accept that I bought a used vehicle but with only 30k miles I would hope that the electronics would work.

Decided I'm going to pull it out and drop in a pioneer new system. at least i can rely on Siri to work with the iPhone . Ford built a great SUV but dropped in a spit polished turd for a radio.

Hi Ajfb004,

steveg_nh and FordandPolaris had a great suggestion. Check to see if an update is available for SYNC. Go to: SYNC Technology | SYNC Support | Ford.com and create an account (if you haven't already done so). Once you're logged in, click UPDATE SYNC SOFTWARE on the right side of the page. The next page will tell you if an update is available or if the vehicle is already up to date.

If there aren't any updates available, try performing a master reset: How to Perform a Master Reset | SYNC & SYNC with MyFord | Ford.com

Kim

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so it might not be able to update anything other than maps through the current connection.
Not to highjack the thread, but this part of your comment was interesting. Are you saying maps can update without a wifi/computer hookup? I thought you had buy the DVD update disk to do it.

FordIVTteam

Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread, but this part of your comment was interesting. Are you saying maps can update without a wifi/computer hookup? I thought you had buy the DVD update disk to do it.
Hi steveg_nh,

The navigation maps can't be updated through a WiFi connection. If you're interested in getting new maps, go to: GPS Navigation System | HERE | Navigation.com and select the make, model, and year of the vehicle. If an update is available for that vehicle, the website will provide you with pricing information and instructions on how to download.

I hope this clears things up a bit :).

Kim

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My bad, figured there was a free option to update it online. I would just use a smart phone for navigation then.

Sent from the Pocket Computer

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi steveg_nh,

The navigation maps can't be updated through a WiFi connection. If you're interested in getting new maps, go to: GPS Navigation System | HERE | Navigation.com and select the make, model, and year of the vehicle. If an update is available for that vehicle, the website will provide you with pricing information and instructions on how to download.

I hope this clears things up a bit :).

Kim

Exactly. And that was what I knew about. I thought you were suggesting something else. Thanks.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are there any talks of doing anything like OnStar? i think that would be next...not having OnStar...but something similar then all updates can be pushed systematically and reboots when vehicle starts...

FordIVTteam

Reaction score
My bad, figured there was a free option to update it online. I would just use a smart phone for navigation then.
Sent from the Pocket Computer
No worries, FordandPolaris. Thanks for letting me jump in and clarify. You know where to find me if you have any questions about SYNC in the future :).

Exactly. And that was what I knew about. I thought you were suggesting something else. Thanks.
You’re welcome, steveg_nh.

are there any talks of doing anything like OnStar? i think that would be next...not having OnStar...but something similar then all updates can be pushed systematically and reboots when vehicle starts...
Hey 6K-Watts,

I’m not able to speculate on future product plans for Ford, but I encourage you to post product suggestions/ideas at: Ford Social: Your Ideas
Our product development team is always looking for customer insight.

Kim