Need HELP.....2003 Eddie Bauer 5.4L with Codes for Too LEAN and then Too RICH.....Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I inherited this vehicle from my late Dad. It has had no problems up until the last couple of years. It has about 108,000 on it now. Its got the 5.4 Liter V8, loaded Eddie Bauer.

About 6 months ago I got a Check Engine light. I plugged in my Step-Dads reader and the codes read that Bank 1 and Bank 2 were running too LEAN. I don't know very much about fixing cars, but he does. We looked around and found the PCV hose and it indeed was dry rotted in a couple spots. I replaced parts of it with off the shelf stuff and it didn't work well. After about a month, the same codes popped. I found that the elbow was collapsed on itself and not letting anything pass. I got another off the shelf part and put it in place and things were find for another month or so. Codes popped again and this time when I raised the hood I could hear a loud HISSING. Part of the hose that the elbow connected to was split. I went to the auto store and bought 6 inches of hose and put it in place. Before doing it though, I put my finger down on the hose and it had a very string vacuum, so I felt good about the repair. It had a new elbow and a new section of hose to repair it.

I reset the codes and went about my driving. After about a week the CHECK ENGINE light came on again. I couldn't believe it. Just my luck. Before doing any checking on the codes, I went ahead and looked at the hose and the fittings to make sure nothing was obvious. Nothing was. It was driving fine. No missing, no hesitation, nothing out of the ordinary.

I left it alone for about 2 weeks until my step-dad could help me. He has been in very ill health and I can't do much of anything on a car by myself.

When I plugged the unit in to check the codes, this time 4 codes popped up. I recognized 2 of them right off, they were the codes for Banks 1 and 2 running too Lean. The others were new, these codes were for Bank 1 and Bank 2 Running TOO RICH!!

I had been noticing that whenever I would get out of the car I would get an odor of gas. Not really strong or pungent or anything like that, it is similar to as it is when you pump gas. The smell is just there.

We have looked at the hose and can't find any obvious reasons to cause it. Sure, both of us can miss something that is simple as can be. I just can't see anything out of the ordinary or hear any leaks that would cause the problem.

I reset the codes and after driving it for a few days the codes came back on and this time it was just 2, Banks 1 and 2 TOO RICH!!

So, I need help. I don't know what to check for or how to fix it. Do you all have any suggestions? This is my only transportation and I can't afford for it to go down and I can't afford a BIG REPAIR BILL either.

I am in the Houston, TX. area and don't mind paying someone to fix it, if you all can recommend someone that can help me and give me a break. I don't care to take it to a Shade-tree Mechanic either and pay for that.

Please help in any way you can. I can use a break. Believe me.

Thank you for your time and any help you care to give me.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the air filter if dirty replace it. Have someone check the fuel pressure and the engine coolant temp sensor.