Need help asap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn Sawyer

Reaction score
Just got a 1998 expedition. 5.4. 4x4 runs rough. Not drivable. Can drive until hits even a slight hill. Very slow to accelerate. Sputters badly. Had to get a running start to even get it up onto a set of ramps.

Things done so fare.
New plugs.
New coils.
Exhaust gaskets and all bolts.
Fuel filter.
Fuel pump.
Of the 4 cats 3 were shot. All are hollowed out.
InjectorS are all working.
Air filter.
Dpfe sensor.
Maf.

Need to fix this week as baby due monday. Any help is great.

Truck starts right away.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so let's get some basics. How many miles on motor? Did you or someone run a dtc codes test. You changed a lot of parts. With a computer controlled vehicle, you need to talk to computer. Your doctor wouldn't cut you open without X-rays or thorough diagnosis. After putting scanner on and running codes, you might want to pull spark plugs and do an old fashioned compression test. You could have one or more bad valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Glenn Sawyer

Reaction score
I work at a shop here in town. We used a snap on modus ultra. All injectors showed fine. Only codes were bank 1 and 2 lean. That was before cats were pulled and new coils done. Truck has 202k.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So no new codes? Do a compression test, hell you've done everything else. One last thought, nobody has messed with the computer, your Ecu. Usually when their bad you get a crap load of codes coming out. What is your fuel pressure at Shrader valve?

OP
OP
G

Glenn Sawyer

Reaction score
Had an exhaust leak. Fixed it. Threw code for forward driver 02. Replaced it. Then started throwing lean codes. Did fuel pressure test.

Key on not running....40
Running....33
Under throttle....40

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel pressure is fine, you can pretty much eliminate pump, filter, or clogged line. Is engine making noise, clanging, knocking, of any kind.

OP
OP
G

Glenn Sawyer

Reaction score
Reader showed timing was fine also. Checked and chains had no play. But will replace soon just as sop. But want get running before that.