Need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I made the mistake of using gunk and washing my engine bay today... no high power or anything just rinse. Then I started the vehicle... STUPID

Well when I took her for a drive I felt a sputter a shake and was like oh great. Pulled out the diagnostic tool and got the generic code for multiple misfires and number 6 and 8 (yeah 8 oh great) So I took 6 off and checked it out looked ok and then went for another drive. So here is what happens. Everything seems fine with zero codes under 55 miles per hour. If I give it the gas and get up around 65 70 I am getting shaky feeling and runs like crap. Then if I say stop at a light I can feel a palpitation in the engine every 30 seconds or so... So now the only code I am getting is for number 6... 8 went away actually before I even took 6 off and I am not getting the multiple... SO PLEASE HELP... should I replace the coil pack.... the plug (I dont even know how to do that you need a special socket right padded) I have a 99 expy with 73K. Should I do all the plugs and the COP's. Please help me with my ******** mistake. Thank you in advance....

BTW any way it goes away??? HAHA it was not wet in there so I don;t know maybe some dielectric grease or something on 6???

THANK YOU GUYS:025:

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could it be something else worse like and injector ugh

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your mistake wasn't *******, I clean my 99 4.6 engine & bay without problems. Are the coil packs original? Same with the plug wires? Plug wires running through the wire looms and not touching the block?

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, not dumb at all.

I power wash my engine bay all the time, and am just waiting for the time that something similar happens to me.

I would just pull the COPs on those cylinders affected and dry out the wells with compressed air and shop rags. Then if the COPs were old I would replace them with new ones otherwise I'd just vlean and dry the existing...

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled 6 and it looked bone dry inside.... I already bought new coils and plugs... I drove one more time tonight and it did not throw a code but does start to feel off at higher speed!! UGH

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a light does come on it is the service engine soon blinking at me at high speed like over 65

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the #6 COP off and move it to cylinder 2 or 4. Drive it again and see if the misfire code follows the COP. If it does, problem solved.

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks man that is my thinking... well until I get all the COPs delivered on Wednesday... anyone got any good tips for getting the plugs out??? Is the 99 prone to snapping them like other models??? Should I soak them in something overnight with the COPs off like right in the hole?? What is up with the turn forward.. turn back can anyone shed any light on that... I have the proper socket coming I just have a feeling I should bring the parts to someone including the dieelectric grease and say here do this!!!!! I just hope it is not the injectors because I would think the misfire would happen all the time not just under stress of hitting higher RPMS's ... lots of questions and your answers will be much appreciated... A disabled vet I have some issues to deal with when going through all this... today I was in AFIB all day and could not get to it

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks man that is my thinking... well until I get all the COPs delivered on Wednesday... anyone got any good tips for getting the plugs out??? Is the 99 prone to snapping them like other models??? Should I soak them in something overnight with the COPs off like right in the hole?? What is up with the turn forward.. turn back can anyone shed any light on that... I have the proper socket coming I just have a feeling I should bring the parts to someone including the dieelectric grease and say here do this!!!!! I just hope it is not the injectors because I would think the misfire would happen all the time not just under stress of hitting higher RPMS's ... lots of questions and your answers will be much appreciated... A disabled vet I have some issues to deal with when going through all this... today I was in AFIB all day and could not get to it

Its the 3v motors that have the plug breakage issue. The 2v such as your 99 does not. They have plug ejection issues due to the low thread count. You can do a search on this forum if you wish to read about it.

95% certain the issues you are having are simply due to moisture in the plug wells, though a plug may have been fouled due to the misfires. Don't assume that you are not having a misfire just because the pcm is not setting cel. Though it can pick up many issues and set cel, this does not mean it detects all issue all of the time. Also misfire cel simply means you have a misfire, nothing more... does not point to cop, sparkplug, boot, moisture, injector, etc.. That's up to the technician to determine.

I would recommend changing out all of the plugs (properly gap) making sure the cop boot is completely dry before reinstalling. If you still have a misfire I would then consider replacing the cops.

Edit: Since you purchased cops you obviously may as well install them. :)

Nothing special needed to change the plugs other than an assortment of extensions, universals and maybe some bandaids. It can be a PITA due to accessibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok first of all you guys are great!!!! I have a few more questions.

So I took out COP 1 (easiest to get to) and replaced it with 6

I hooked up the OBII and went for a ride.... I got no SES light or codes thrown.

The only thing I may have noticed is a slight shutter from the stop position but I was hitting it hard. I never do that so I am not sure if it is normal.

I got over 75 had no SES light did not really notice any shutter but I think that I may have an alignment issue because it did shake a little (I just replaced rear control arms) I am getting an alignment after I put the new track bar, sway bar and lift on it in the coming weeks.... they are all here ready to go.

So I have to drive 20 miles tonight and will hook up the monitor and see if I get anything. It is weird that it did not throw a code for 1 to me it the COP is bad... is that why you suggested 2 or 4 because 1 fires first (forgive my ignorance.)

Am I going to do any real harm if I am not getting SES no codes are being thrown I am getting the same gas mileage and I dont think that it is dumping fuel??

Maybe it is an injector?? Anything to look for in any of these cases??? Thanks again.

BTW the new plugs and coils will be here this week I am going to bring them to someone to do.... I want to do it myself because this is the car I am learning on but with 73k on the clock I am not looking to totally kill this thing... I love it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2