Need more towing grunt-suggestions??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captain chaos

Reaction score
Ok. So here’s the deal: I have a 2000 Expedition 4wd w/ a 4.6 and stock 3.55 gears. Unloaded it cruises right down the hwy, gets decent mpg (for what it is), is comfortable and all is good. The problem is, My family and I really enjoy camping and the second I hook that 24’ TT to it the ‘little engine that could’ it really starts showing its shortcomings. There’s just not enough grunt there.
The thought of running OD with that camper in tow is laughable (I never even try) and even locked in 3rd it has trouble cruising w/ the TC locked if there’s any significant wind (though if the wind is light it will cruise 55-60 just fine). The last camping trip we took had us fighting a 25+mph cross/headwind (basically aimed right at the front fender), I believe “quartering wind” is the term, anyway the old girl was NOT happy. Trying to maintain 56-57mph the thing was struggling to even stay in 3rd. TC lockup was only possible maybe 30/40% of the time. I could just envision screaming hot transmission parts and an engine that was just huffing/puffing as hard as it could. I could clearly use some more grunt. I do realize that those are pretty poor towing conditions though so I don’t expect it to be able to just cruise along happily in 4th fighting a 25mph wind.

Here’s the deal though as there are some complications; I’m not in the market for another vehicle. My Expy is paid for and I have no desire for a car payment on something we drive MAYBE 5000mi/yr (basically just camping and occasional trips). Besides that, we’re looking at possibly moving the in the next yr or 2 so spending is on somewhat of a lockdown.

I know full well the answer is “get a 5.4” but there are some problems there:
-Clean Expys are a hard find around here. Rust is a SERIOUS problem with them and most of the 1st gens are looking pretty beater-ish by now. I really don’t want to get rid of a fairly nice Expedition for what would essentially be a clapped out looking beater. My hatred of car payments prevents dropping enough coin to pick up a newer/nicer version. I know its vain sounding but my wife likes ‘nice-ish’ looking vehicles and I just don’t really want another beater either. I’ve driven PLENTY of them in my day and I’d like to move past that.

-I feel like I get just good enough mpg (~14city/ 19hwy) to justify driving this tank from time to time (which the family and I enjoy). I really don’t want to flush that down the toilet in the name of more HP. I considered looking for a 2wd 5.4 in the hopes of preserving as much of that mpg as possible but those seem to be a rare beast.

So, what I need is a way to get some more ‘umph’ in the 2000-3000rpm range. I don’t care one bit about gaining HP past 3500rpm as I spend 98% of my time in the 2-3k range. That’s where I tow at and that’s where I need the power to be. There are options for gaining hp (headers/tuners/etc) but dyno charts to gauge the difference seem to be hard to find and the ones you do find often don’t show what's going on in the 2-3000rpm range. They all just want to brag about what kind of peak hp they gain (irrelevant).

I feel like a re-gear would help but I don’t want it screaming down the hwy either as 1) it’s annoying when going any distance and 2) it kills mpg.

I was wondering if anyone had some insight or experience that could help me in my quandary. I am open to other vehicles (or even brands) but it MUST have room for 5-6 min (have 3 kids) and be older/affordable (debt=bad).

Thanks. (sorry for the long winded post!)

B

bedrck46

I think you really know the answer Get a 5.4 Sad to say.

I had a 99 with 4.6 and a pop-up that weighed around 3000 to 3500 when being towed. Going up hills here in PA was not enjoyable I was lucky if I could maintain 25 mph. I don't consider that being safe and am more of a hazard to others.

I now have a 2001 with 5.4 and on the same hills I have no problem maintaining speed.
The 99 4.6 had 3.55 gears as does the 5.4 although I would prefer the 3.73 gears
I do not know what would be involved in changing gears but that might be something you would want to consider

B

bedrck46

check this link As you will see the weights listed can be confusing in that is what they can tow but in reality you will find that even if they can tow that weight the question is how will the engine and gears handle the weight with some power to spare

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
our 2001 5.4 sucks wind on any hill with our 24ft tt, I cant imagine a 4.6! my brother in law tows a 28ft 5th wheel, he actually swaps on smaller tires when he tows ( poor mans gear change) and it works. just a suggestion.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you considered new cams. You can get "RV" cams. They offer better low and mid range torque.

OP
OP
C

captain chaos

Reaction score
our 2001 5.4 sucks wind on any hill with our 24ft tt, I cant imagine a 4.6! my brother in law tows a 28ft 5th wheel, he actually swaps on smaller tires when he tows ( poor mans gear change) and it works. just a suggestion.
Fortunately, it's very flat here and so long as the wind is mild she does OK. It'll run fine in 3rd with the TC locked. You'll never win any races though. Lol! Any kind of hills or strong winds has her in 2nd gear though trying to maintain 55 (or even close to it)
I already run a 245/70-17 and just put them on (brand new). I just don't care to go smaller.

Have you considered new cams. You can get "RV" cams. They offer better low and mid range torque.

I have considered it but it's tough to find anyone who has any data as to what kind of gains can be expected, especially in that critical 2000-3000rpm range. When you add up cams and a tune that can be an expensive gamble.

OP
OP
C

captain chaos

Reaction score
Do you feel safe driving it like that??

Safe, yes.
Do I feel like I'm doing my transmission any favors: NO!

Honestly, the trans is probably my biggest worry. Heat buildup when it can't maintain TC lockup is a pretty serious deal. I'm thinking a trans temp gauge might be in the near future just so I can monitor it.
The engine I'm not too worried about. They'll take a beating, it's just annoying turning tons of rpm to get down the road.

What I'm really after is the ability to maintain TC lockup, in 3rd for 85%+ of the time (remember, mostly flat land here). If it has to drop down to climb a grade that's no biggie.

B

bedrck46

look into a OBII Bluetooth device about $10-$15 and the Torque Pro app for a smart phone you would be able to get trans temp

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

you list "in a van down by the river" and then say "remember, mostly flat land here"
Is that in the state of confusion??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420