Need Spark Plug recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingrg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 Expy 5.4L 4x4, 100,000 miles plus
Hi, I start to have a little issues under load engine start like misfire, i just going to change a few things, looking for advise on spark plugs for daily driving, i have a few issues with other cars that is you use another brand that is not OEM the engine start to misfire or another problem, i don't want to loose money just buy what is need to normal maintenance.

Thanks!

Hugh Janus

Reaction score
Use a one piece plug. Motorcraft is two piece I believe. Do a search on changing 5.4 3v sparkplugs - lots of problem potential.

atomicwerks

Reaction score
Many 2003 models have the 2v 5.4, mine included. I'm not sure the the cutoff date when they went to the 3v. You need to check which motor you have.

Motorcraft plugs are:

2v = SP-479
3v = SP-515

The 2v plugs are not hard to change (just time consuming) and won't break off in the head like the 3v plugs will.

If you do have the 2v, make sure you torque the plugs to about 25 ftlbs. There have been cases of plugs loosening and blowing out the hole with the factory spec of 18 ftlbs.

Also, I recommend changing the coil packs while you're in there, as many times they are the cause of the misfire to begin with. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk