New 2016 Owner - with plenty of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, 1 Key does not mean it is the admin Key...It just means somebody lost a key, and possibly the admin key if My Key was setup before.

BY FAR the best thing to do is get a Ford Dealer to clear ALL keys and add the one you have and a new one in. Worth the price to have the keys programmed correctly by a Dealer in my opinion. Like Andy said above, in most cases a 3rd party shop is using the clone method.

You do not need to lose a key on most aftermarket Remote Starts anymore, but I would check to see what price the dealer will do a factory remote start for. If you have factory warranty, prevents any issues, and you might be pleasantly surprised by the price. With that said, have loved my DEI/Viper systems in previous vehicles.

Yes is the quick answer on swapping from Sync Touch to the Full Sync 3 system. If you want Nav there might be more involved. Honestly, go take a look at the F-150 Forums, many have done the swap there. Not cheap if you want new. Jason @ http://www.fordpimods.com/sync-3-navigation-or-system-upgrade.html is a GREAT source of info and can probably help you build a kit. He is where the source files came from that are floating around that let us with Sync 3 1.1 upgrade to 2.2 6 months before Ford released it. GREAT GUY, and knows his stuff.

As far as trailer, you need to remember the towing capacity of an 16 Expy without the Heavy Duty Tow package is 6600. With the Heavy it jumps to 9100. If your Boat is under that, no issues, just splice the 5 Pin in and you are good. LOTS of instructions out there on how to do that, because not a Ford specific issue.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me it was a non ford dealer, and the sales rep did tell me they only had one key. Well you live and learn.
i will get a new admin key tomorrow and myself out of 'teenage' driving mode.
Then on to the trailer connector. I want/need to take the boat out this weekend.
If somebody had already set the other key as the admin key, then buying another key is the only way to solve that problem. Good luck with your new truck. Once you iron out these little wrinkles you'll be very happy with your truck. :)

OP
OP
pcmpete

pcmpete

Reaction score
Update. Got a new admin key from dealer ($285) and now the MyKey situation is fixed.
I also asked the service rep how do I get the 5 digit code for the door pad.
I was told they would have connect back up to their computer to retrieve the code and would cost $80. I passed on that.

On my way out the door, another customer got my attention and told me that he over heard my service request. He then proceeded to tell me the two key trick to find the factory code for free.

Why could the service rep not have told me that. Especially being a new customer looking to gain customer loyalty.

Thanks all

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. Got a new admin key from dealer ($285) and now the MyKey situation is fixed.
I also asked the service rep how do I get the 5 digit code for the door pad.
I was told they would have connect back up to their computer to retrieve the code and would cost $80. I passed on that.

On my way out the door, another customer got my attention and told me that he over heard my service request. He then proceeded to tell me the two key trick to find the factory code for free.

Why could the service rep not have told me that. Especially being a new customer looking to gain customer loyalty.

Thanks all
Because those guys are only focused on making money for the shop. You have to talk to the service manager or to someone with broader understanding of customer service.

If you had Sync 3 you could read if from the screen, but if you look in the passenger front foot well, on the right behind the access panel, then to the left and slightly above the fuse box is the module (I forget it's designation) and it has a sticker with the 5 digit code on it.

What is the two key trick?

OP
OP
pcmpete

pcmpete

Reaction score
After I was told about it I tried it and it worked. Then I searched YouTube and found this

Because those guys are only focused on making money for the shop. You have to talk to the service manager or to someone with broader understanding of customer service.

If you had Sync 3 you could read if from the screen, but if you look in the passenger front foot well, on the right behind the access panel, then to the left and slightly above the fuse box is the module (I forget it's designation) and it has a sticker with the 5 digit code on it.

What is the two key trick?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It has been documented before. You can also look it up via FORScan and change it. Stupid dealer that was going to charge you $80 again.

N9JIG

Reaction score
Oops! Missed it a few replies above. It is in the Sync 3 system someplace...

So how does this work with the non-insertion keys like we have on the Expedition?

As for the dealer wanting to charge you for it, remember they are in business to make money. Right or wrong, they will almost always steer you towards what makes them money. If they don't they won't be in business very long. You just have to find the right balance between serving your customers and keeping the lights on. I had a similar thing when I bought some parts to upgrade the USB port in my Expedition for Sync 3, they wanted to charge me extra to update the firmware, which I had already done myself (based on what I read in this forum!)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops! Missed it a few replies above. It is in the Sync 3 system someplace...

So how does this work with the non-insertion keys like we have on the Expedition?

As for the dealer wanting to charge you for it, remember they are in business to make money. Right or wrong, they will almost always steer you towards what makes them money. If they don't they won't be in business very long. You just have to find the right balance between serving your customers and keeping the lights on. I had a similar thing when I bought some parts to upgrade the USB port in my Expedition for Sync 3, they wanted to charge me extra to update the firmware, which I had already done myself (based on what I read in this forum!)
It's in the setting section on the Sync 3.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want OEM remote start....all you need is a key kit from the dealer. The PCM has remote start built in. You will get 2 new keys for the remote start and your old key will still work normally. I have the feature in mine and works great!