New owner of 2008 EB SWB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YenloWang

Reaction score
Warm Greetings from somewhere in the western pacific! Hope you accept members from outside the continental US!

Was looking around for a new suv or pickup but I stumbled on this beauty, an '08 EDDIE Bauer with just 35k on the odo. Asking price was 14,000 Usd, which in our setting is really a good deal. For context a brand new Ford Everest top spec costs 3x more. I'm really considering this as a project car but with that mileage, it could be my daily!

Started her up, the v8 rumbles to life in one click, no other sounds present. A/c is powerful, able to cool up the cab in minutes in our 33°C conditions. Plugs were replaced at 25k,still have to check whether they are the newer 1 piece... O2 sensor replaced 2 months ago. Battery at 1 year and counting. Suspension is really quiet, no creaks or squeaks. While driving at 20kph, rocked the wheel left and right, feels good. Brakes are good, consistent pedal feel. Only complaint was it's too quiet inside, how can you enjoy that rumble with all that insulation?

It's all stock. With maintenence records from the dealer. Getting this today or tomorrow. Hoping to learn more from you all on how to take care of this beast and someday pass it on to my daughter.

Attachments

• received_262304572995372.jpeg
    received_262304572995372.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230615_070757_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_070757_Messenger.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230615_070852_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_070852_Messenger.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20230615_070817_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_070817_Messenger.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 18

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats. Sure looks nice in the pics. I have a 2014 EL Ltd, and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it 4 years ago with 80K (miles) on it. Good luck with yours...

OP
OP
YenloWang

YenloWang

Reaction score
Thanks! Finally got the Beast today.. Funny though, after all the paperworks and money changing hands, off to the city limits to get the feel of such a big vehicle in hiway and traffic jam conditions when the CEL came on. Only had an obd2 BT dongle, but torque pro retrieved these error codes:Screenshot_20230617-182356_Torque.jpg
Guess I really need to get Forscan then. Previous owner mentioned he had the 02 sensors replaced last year. Dunno if that's true.

20230617_202926.jpg
Cleared the CEL. Still researching what that fault means in terms of repair / replace.

OP
OP
YenloWang

YenloWang

Reaction score
So... After driving it around the city the car decided to go I to limp mode... Wrench icon, traction control icon, battery icon, low fuel warning, 0nmiles to empty, CEL etc etc... That many errors could only mean the car will explode in seconds... Or maybe it's because the battery connection is loose. Popped the hood, checked and confirmed that the negative terminal, although tight enough, has some corrosion. A few taps with the old trusty Leatherman cleared the codes.

Happened yesterday. Today it happened again, probably 4 times with the same error and the same solution... Twice the traction control and wrench icon didn't clear, but turned the car off and on cleared it. Didn't have to use torque to clear the codes. So most likely it's the connection that also caused the 02 sensor fault?

Tomorrow I'll bring the car to the mechanic to have the terminal fixed, and also to scan with forscan to see if there's any more problems... Probably it's the age showing, since the faults only occur when I drive over a rough patch and got jostled around... Real left taillight also went bust but tried smacking the taillight... Voila it works again.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have problems with battery connections, fix that first. Poor connections or improper voltage can cause any system to malfunction.

OP
OP
YenloWang

YenloWang

Reaction score
Yeah that's my priority tomorrow. Today's first day of work so it got really busy and the mechanic's place is too out of the way for today's schedule. But first thing tomorrow morning will be to the shop... Also wanted to use the forscan to retrieve the factory code for the locks.

75Flh

Reaction score
I'd look at the wiring harness very closely for Rodent type damage damage... from your location and only 35000 miles I would assume that truck has set for long periods of time.... so check to see if a mouse got somewhere and had chewed on some wires, or you're going to be chasing codes for quite a long time.

Double check all the grounds on the vehicle for tightness..

75Flh

Reaction score
My 2013 with the same engine has 130k miles on it...no major issues

OP
OP
YenloWang

YenloWang

Reaction score
I'd look at the wiring harness very closely for Rodent type damage damage... from your location and only 35000 miles I would assume that truck has set for long periods of time.... so check to see if a mouse got somewhere and had chewed on some wires, or you're going to be chasing codes for quite a long time.

Double check all the grounds on the vehicle for tightness..
Yes that's the overall idea, to check for loose, broken or corroded wirings and connections. Like this problem:

After getting the unit, I sometimes experience this Christmas tree of a console (video 1)

Video 1
that many errors probably mean a power issue, so checked the battery and negative terminal is corroded. Cleaned it, checked the wires attached. The problem cleared... But still reappeared after either a day or maybe 20.mins or 2kms after. Jiggled the negative terminal and wires attached, it Still fixed the problem temporarily. Finally, 2 days ago I tried moving further and found out that jiggling this connection removes the warning lights. (VIDEO 2) Video 2 happened again when I have to park with the right side tilted up and the warning lights immediately appeared. So I cable tied the connection so that it won't swing about... Well I was able to go a day without it appearing. It happened again today, and since I know what caused it probably, I was able to remember to take a video of the problem (video 1), what I did (video 2), and the immediate result (video 3). Resolved without me resetting the codes.
Video 3
So the question is, where is that harness leading to? Chances are to the pcm bec most of the errors is lost communication with pcm and can bus.

OP
OP
YenloWang

YenloWang

Reaction score
This are the codes extracted by forscan.
Screenshot_20230628-101633_FORScan Lite.jpg

After all the warning lights went off, I cleared the codes and this were the ones left.
Screenshot_20230628-110430_FORScan Lite.jpg

Live feed from PCM modules confirms the PCM is ok?
Screenshot_20230628-190834_FORScan Lite.jpg

O2 bank 2 sensor 2 reads 0v. Hopefully it's just a loose connector, bec an O2 sensor costs $250 here!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627-120824_FORScan Lite.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627-120824_FORScan Lite.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 5