New engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know how much it might cost to do a replacement of a new 5.4? maybe a good place to start looking? I've been thinking about saving up and just putting a new one in.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan to do the same but not till this time next year. I got a hookup at Ford I might be able to get you a good deal on the engine itself. But the installation is a whole other issue.

My estimates for a 5.4L V8 were around 5k with install.

OP
OP

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5 grand really? that seems pretty high....cant you get a decent rebuild on an engine for like 1500 bucks? i'm sure install cant be that much

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replacing a 4.6 with a 5.4 or a 5.4 with a 5.4?
With a BRAND new engine from Ford I'd expect something in the 3-4 grand range. I wouldn't know for sure though. You could get a rebuilt one from places on ebay, I'm not sure how that would go over though.

A brand new engine is kinda harsh, why not just a rebuild? That way you can add some new heads maybe and get yourself a 4 valve.

But at that point I'd rather just buy a new truck. The new expys have a not bad look, and a very nice interior. I'd swap myself up a powerstroke personally.

Last edited:

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5G was an educated guess. Probably wrong. I'd have to get an exact price quote but I'd need to have many details so he can give me a ballpark range.

He asked me for a lot of information I didn't have available at the time and I never got back to him with it cause it wasn't really a priority cause I didn't have the money anyways.

I see him quite often cause his daughter is like my best friend. So I'll try to get a more accurate idea of what it would be costing.

wrangler45337

Reaction score
I was told when I locked up my 5.4 in my '99 EB that it would be $7,000 here in Ohio from a Dealership. So I told them to shove it. I have been rebuilding it myself since I drive a company truck for work. I am looking at less than $2,000 doing it myself with performance parts from Jegs and Summit.

wrangler45337

Reaction score
Other people building my stuff bothers me. At least if I do it myself I know the quality of work being done. And I am pretty **** about my work, especially when it somes to engine building. I have just shy of 10 years building engines now, and haven't had one blow up yet. And I drive it like I stole it!!!