New guy and new to Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the tools, the shop, the experience and the people to do this repair, I think he is serious. Just don't count on any decent resale value. The Carfax will be a killer for this vehicle.
If you are like me, one of those people who drive them until the wheels fall off, resale value will not be too important. :D

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a couple salvage vehicles, as long as you know the work involved, know the people doing the work and ensure everything is done properly it should be fine. That doesn't look all that bad to be honest, especially if they can find a donor vic.

I had a 2002 Subaru Forester that was "totaled". Bought it with 74k miles for $2k. Drove it for 6 years and finally the stock clutch gave up at 246k. Replaced the clutch and found the headgaskets leaking. Attempted to replace headgaskets and found a headbolt stripped in the block. Tossed a spare engine in it, changed the trans and rear diff to 3.90 gearing I had and sold it for $1500 and an STi block and parts.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't care how good the body shop is, it'll never be right or like it was before the accident. But good for you for saving it.

OP
OP
X

XMan

Reaction score
You guys do realize they do not fix the existing panels right? Everything is replaced with new sheet metal and painted. Most of the work here is just cosmetic. I have seen vehicles with far worse damage come in and leave their shop looking and driving showroom fresh. Every vehicle that has a salvage title and is being put back on the road needs to be state inspected.

But I understand that salvage titled vehicles are stigmatized and looked at skeptically. We currently own a 2009 Forester that was totaled with a front end hit. Bought it in 2010 with 14k miles on it. My guys did the repairs and been driving it since. Now has 75k on it. Have done the brakes on it and that's been it. We have a 04 Corolla same thing. Salvage vehicle got it with 5k on it.

My son is still driving it today as his daily work driver with 142K on it. Salvage vehicles aren't for everybody to be sure but I have saved thousands of $$ over the years and it sure has worked for us.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys do realize they do not fix the existing panels right? Everything is replaced with new sheet metal and painted. Most of the work here is just cosmetic. I have seen vehicles with far worse damage come in and leave their shop looking and driving showroom fresh.
How far forward does the damage go. I looks like it got the rear passenger side door or at least the door opening. Is the roof straight or will they cut the roof? Do they just put the rear quarters on? I'm hoping you can get some good pictures because this is very interesting to me. :)

OP
OP
X

XMan

Reaction score
I will certainly try to get some pics of the progress. I don't think they have gotten started yet. As far as the panels that need to be replaced are obviously the liftgate, rear bumper cover and the right rear panel. The rear door on the passenger side is good. Here is a pic of the other side of the vehicle. Nothing here needs to be worked on from the rear quarter going forward. This is a rather easy fix honestly.

eecb8274-a987-49cd-a3e2-9975c85e088f.jpg

More pics.

91010547-7aaa-420d-8109-c73725bf084a.jpg

e06b3be8-83bf-4e3c-bb42-ddabc8feb330.jpg

7d0a5718-5867-412a-a37a-da05feb88269.jpg

5240afcf-8d8d-4344-9298-dfc1ca0c4943.jpg

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I restore vintage bikes back to 100% stock condition so I've had a little experience with what you are going to do and more power to you.....I'm a firm believer in "to each his/her own" so best of luck knocking out the project and having it comes out exactly as you have it planned!

"I saved at least $12,000 over what I could buy off the dealer lot for the same vehicle that had 15000 more miles on it. "

Without trying to sound rude....after my shopping last Fall when I bought my '17, I saw year-old trucks with low mileage going for 40-48K(depending on options).....was that about right? So 32K-36K was your price?

jeff

OP
OP
X

XMan

Reaction score
The closest I could find at any dealer close enough to me that I would consider driving to had I wanted to purchase a vehicle from a dealer was a 2016 Limited EL identical to this one with the exception of the second row buckets and it had just a shade under 20,000 miles on it. They wanted $49,900 a supposedly no haggle price. I was looking at 4 wheel drive models only. Perhaps some you seen were rwd?

To get into a close to identical Expy for the price I am paying you are looking at something with anywhere from 35 to 45K miles on it.
I'm sure prices will vary in different parts of the country as well.