New here. Shifter question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gooseadrian

Reaction score
I have a 1999 ford explorer. And my transmission wont shift into park. I have to start the truck in nutruel. but the indicator shows its in drive. Now my question is, Will the indicator adjuster be causing it to not shift into park or is that a completely different problem? Im really new to these trucks, my current project is a 1985 nissan 300zx.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An adjustment on the cable might fix it but it is off by a decent amount. You might have to buy a new shifter cable.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII Using Tapatalk2

jimmbrooks

Reaction score
id be willing to bet it is the two torx screws that need to be tightened under the dash. get on your back and look up while wiggling the gear selector, if those are even an little bit loose it will do that to you, trust me...

chad9f9

Reaction score
You might want to check the cable mounting bracket on the transmission as well. If it is loose you wont be able to get the transmission fully engaged in either park or 1. I had a similar issue. Had to wiggle it to get it in park. The adjustment wheel behind the dash is a plastic wheel. Be careful when you go to adjust it because the plastic mounts that hold it may be brittle and break.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2