New member, couple questions and part ID help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello. New member here commg over from the Toyota 4Runner world. I got a 99 XLT with the 4.6. The guy told me it needed a tune up so I bought plugs and wires and found 3 plug wires were not completely on and 2 plugs were finger tight. Looks like I gt to them just in time to avoid the dreaded blow out. I got the new plugs in and torqued down good. However in messing with it I accidentally broke a nipple off is some sort of vacuum switch on the left side of the throttle body. Can anyone tell me what it is so I can get a new one. Here's a pic.

image.jpg

Also the right side valve cover seems to be leaking oil under hard acceleration. Is this something I can fix rather easily? Didn't know how much of the motor I'll have to pull apart to do it. Thanks guys and look toward to tackling this project with your help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like part of the egr pressure differential system, you'll need to replace the entire piece.
The valve cover gaskets will leak over time. Not bad to replace just pay attention to the rear of the cover when setting it back on the head. Mine had a tendency to drop out of the valve cover and leak. Has to use a little silicone to hold it in.

In the future it would be better to refer to the passenger or driver side when describing where something is located. Saying right or left is dependant on where you are in relation to the part - you could be in front of the vehicle or in the driver seat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like part of the egr pressure differential system, you'll need to replace the entire piece.
The valve cover gaskets will leak over time. Not bad to replace just pay attention to the rear of the cover when setting it back on the head. Mine had a tendency to drop out of the valve cover and leak. Has to use a little silicone to hold it in.

In the future it would be better to refer to the passenger or driver side when describing where something is located. Saying right or left is dependant on where you are in relation to the part - you could be in front of the vehicle or in the driver seat.

Thanks for the input. I found its a EGR pressure sensor and a motorcraft replacement is about $70. Whew I'll be more careful next time. Sorry about the right or left thing. I'm into dirt racing and we don't really have a passenger side so it's always referred as the right. I'll try and be more thorough next time. One more question(for now), I'm finding 2 different style of valve cover gaskets. An o-ring style and non o-ring. Is there any way to tell which one I have without pulling the valve cover off? Just trying to order these off rock auto and don't really want to pull my cover and not have it ready to go back on.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always said left or right since we all know left side is drivers side for us 'mericans. and parts are labeled left or right as well since a rhd market exists.

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The part is called the DPFE SENSOR. You may also want to check the two hoses that connect to the sensor as they tend to go bad, dry rot crack etc. As stamp suggested left right can be drivers side or passenger side and you may also hear reference to BANK 1 OR BANK 2 on the engine Bank 1 is passenger side

OP
OP
D

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the hose that didn't break off is very dry and brittle. It will also be replaced.

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace both and be careful when you install the new ones as they are different inside diameter's
I had to replace a DPFE on a 99 exped and obtained it from ebay cost was around 45.00

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt