new owner of 2000 4.6 xlt couple questions if you have some time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
so here it goes.

2000 4.6 xlt 4R70W trans and 3.55 gears and a shit ton of rust that i ended up replacing the whole front radiator support (cut and weld in a new one)
replacing all the brake lines and transmission lines and power steering lines and shocks and so on..

7daa0385-979b-4f82-8454-e6c9e7c3d813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a couple questions i have that i would like some advice on, like the pros and cons of each are....

to extend the life of the transmission would it be worth it to buy a shift kit and install it or use a programmer?

i dont want it to shift into each gear like i'm trying to race someone but also dont want it to take forever shifting and putting stress on the transmission like i've seen people posting about. but at the same time i dont really tow anything.

2nd question is. i would like to put some new wheels and tires on.
some 16x10 rims with 315/75r16 34.5 tires
Size: 16x10
Offset: -25mm
Backspacing: 4.53"
Bolt Pattern: 5-135

dc_dc2_mba_ci3_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...eelFinish=Machined+w/Black+Accent&showRear=no
i know a lift is going to be needed and i'm trying to figure out which kind i should go with.

either the 3 inch keys and 3 inch spring spacers and do some trimming
or
go with a complete 5 or 6 inch suspension lift kit.

i'm trying to avoid lifting the suv and then having vibration issues that people have been saying they have after doing complete suspension lift kits.

Last edited:

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a programmer its the best thing to do to take stress of your transmission.
You can get a 3in body lift and 2 or 3inch keys and 2 or 3in coil spacers and run 315's (35) easy

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
thx for the quick reply. i see you have 2 inch wheel spacers and running 315's are you on stock rims? is that why you had to use spacers?

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
and also one other question. if i go the body lift route. will i have to switch over to electric fans and get rid of the stock set up? because of the body being lifted up and not the engine?

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I just put wheel spacers for a wider stance. you ddon't need wheel spacers. And yes they are stock.also I added it to sling mud not to fit the tires
The body lift brings a drop bracket for the radater fan cover it drops it so you wouldn't have to change it

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The SCT programmer lets you increase or decrease the shift pressures for 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4. I increased mine 20%, 15% , and 10%. It still shifts smooth as stock, it just shifts much faster.