New purchase dilemma...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
We were in the same boat about a month ago. Our lease was up in August this year, we wanted to get into a Max since we outgrew our 2018 Limited. I'd say the new car market, depending on the area, is still looking to sell cars. They will make more on your trade than selling the new car to you, so you have some leverage still.

We traded our lease in early, our residual was 40k, they gave us 55k trade value, which we used towards our 2021 Max Stealth.

OP
OP
M

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We were in the same boat about a month ago. Our lease was up in August this year, we wanted to get into a Max since we outgrew our 2018 Limited. I'd say the new car market, depending on the area, is still looking to sell cars. They will make more on your trade than selling the new car to you, so you have some leverage still.

We traded our lease in early, our residual was 40k, they gave us 55k trade value, which we used towards our 2021 Max Stealth.
If you don't mind me asking, what was the price before trade-in that you agreed on with the dealer?

OP
OP
M

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score

mcb345

I'm finding 2018 and 2019 Black Label L models going between 70-80k (some CPO) with 40k or less miles. I'm super tempted to pull the trigger.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Used is always an option - Just load up the top level ESP for ~2K more, and you'll be set for another 5-6 years

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what was the price before trade-in that you agreed on with the dealer?
We leased, so got an $80k MSRP Max Stealth for $750 for 36mo, with a $44k residual. How that works out is we will pay $72000 if we factor in the lease payments + residual. We are in a sales tax state, so paying 10% sales tax on $44k is easier to swallow than $72k all things equal.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Buying anything right now is just wasting money. You know you’re overpaying. Why would anyone do that?

If your truck is a screw then keep it till next year see what the market does.
Be patient.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
after doing some research on the realistic projected chip shortages from TSMC, who supplies all automotive chips, it’s my opinion that we will see chip shortages extend into 2022 as a minimum - i can’t imagine prices stabilizing until this time next year if we are lucky. every automotive company is jockeying for whatever supplies become available, & something tells me Ford isn’t even close to the top of the bidding list. just my 2 cents.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buying anything right now is just wasting money. You know you’re overpaying. Why would anyone do that?

If your truck is a screw then keep it till next year see what the market does.
Be patient.

Because they think their increased trade value makes it a great deal. When they go to sell this newly purchased vehicle they will take an enormous bath because they paid top dollar for it and the market will crash in a couple years so its value will tank.