New SSV owner looking for some expert advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matgyver

Reaction score
So I scored a 2010 Expedition XLT SSV (column shift) that came pretty much stripped down as you can get. Only option was the heavy duty towing package.

I'm very pleased with it in all ways but one. I have no center console....and the passenger seat is a mile away so I can't get my lean on and feel like I'm going to fall into the abyss.

Has anyone else bought an SSV? What did you do for a console? I've looked at ebay and I only see the ones with the floor shifter. I thought about f150 consoles, maybe a jump seat console? Really have no idea what to get or what will fit.

E8DFBA21-FC6B-4C8F-9764-50D1EE20C74F_zpsgb5wczg5.jpg

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe there's a thread here installing a center console.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to just buy one and install it. I would check your local salvage yards first.

Last edited:

Wildbill1

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 SSV and am interested in this as well. Will a console from pickup fit? I'm striking out on Expedition consoles at salvage yards. Anyone know what other years will interchange?

OP
OP
M

Matgyver

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 SSV and am interested in this as well. Will a console from pickup fit? I'm striking out on Expedition consoles at salvage yards. Anyone know what other years will interchange?

So here's what I've found out.

2004-2008 f-150 console from a column shift doesn't work because of the bump in the floor in the Expedition (some kind of module). Even though, I'm going to get one and cut it where it interferes and see how it works. Got is for $50 from a junk yard and should get it tomorrow.

Other options I've looked into:
1. Tuffy 12.5 inch security console. Overbuilt and expensive but the only aftermarket I could find over 9 inches wide.
2. 2009-20xx F150 console...bolts on the side like the expedition one would, but would have to buy the mounting brackets. More expensive than the Tuffy.
3. The flow through Expedition console with a floor shift kit. I'd then strip the floor shift out and glue a plastic panel where it was. Again, I'd need the mounting brackets. Cost would be more than the Tuffy.
5. Wood, screws, paint. Cheap, but I'm not interested in 1980s conversion van look.

I've not researched the f250 or excursion consoles, so no idea if they would work.

Car part dot net or dot com I think is where I searched for junk yards. Warning though...most didn't want to ship it.

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post some pictures pls if youre done. Ty

2007 XLT, 4X4 5.4

Wildbill1

Reaction score
The 12.5" Tuffy looks like a good idea. I think I might pursue that option. Having a built-in lockbox in the vehicle is not a bad idea anyway, especially if it winds up being less expensive than a cobbled together installation made from Ford factory parts. Thanks

OP
OP
M

Matgyver

Reaction score
The 12.5" Tuffy looks like a good idea. I think I might pursue that option. Having a built-in lockbox in the vehicle is not a bad idea anyway, especially if it winds up being less expensive than a cobbled together installation made from Ford factory parts. Thanks

Cost was my main concern. $50 and some dremel work sounds good to me...I hope it turns out.

The Tuffy is 18 inches from the floor to the arm pad...it's quite tall. May want to check that in your truck with a tape measure and see if the arm rest would be a good height. I'm short so it felt high.

OP
OP
M

Matgyver

Reaction score
I picked up the f150 console today...lets just say this...If you order an interior part ask if they sold the windshield from the car first. This one was covered in mildew, and had a few cracks from the wreck it was obviously in.

They knocked $15 off for a total of $35. I tore it down with a screwdriver (Torx and driver bits) and pliers in 5 minutes. Soap, water, scrub brush, and elbow grease took care of it.

I've got it clamped up with gorilla glue so I'll take photos once it's back together.

I'm going to mount it on top of the hump in the floor using the rear bracket you see in the photo in the first post. I think it is a Havis bracket for a police comm box. This will make install simple, and I really liked the arm height when it was on the mount.

Last edited: