New (to me) 17 Plat EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad they got it fixed. My Ford dealer does not wash vehicles. I was spoiled from driving Mercedes for 24 years and I was used to getting them washed after any service. I have an unlimited pass at my local car wash so I get it washed a couple of times a week when I'm not being lazy.
Machined washes?!?!

Plati

Reaction score
Machined washes?!?!
I totally get that comment!
a) machined washes used to cause my 2003 Expy "door ajar" problem so that ended about 10 years ago.
b) machined washes dont get my 2014 Expy clean
(and DeltaSonic is a top quality "contact" carwash)

I'll run a machined wash on the 2014 after a roadtrip to get underneath and avoid mud in driveway. Then I come home and hand wash. If its above freezing. I wear rain gear and big rubber gloves when its 35 degrees. I also get down on the ground and extensively spray water everywhere I can get to underneath to flush the salt & grit away. Dont know how effective that will be long term in avoiding rust, but YGDWYGD.

But - to each his own.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do

Last edited:

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I hand wash mine, two bucket method, and blow it off with a high powered leaf blower. Then every month it gets a coat of megs ultimate polish and paste wax topped. Every few days wiped down with megs final touch detailer. She never dirty!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have taken mine to the guys for 37 bucks + 10 to the Mexicans.....and it still looked dirty. It has too many creases that hold the dirty for a machine to do a good job. Washed it Sat. for the first time since last summer. Still looks great, only two tiny paint chips in total for the 1.25 yrs.......was beat while doing it though since I hadn't slept the night before so I pushed off and detailed the inside yesterday.

jeff

20180422_154338_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
M

MKMc

Reaction score
These are pretty big rigs - what do you guys use to get up on top and for the big S T R E T C H to get the entire hood - a step ladder or stool? Tried both and end up with no leverage, especially for polishing/waxing.

UNRELATED Q: DO I have to manually CLOSE the initial screen that tells me about the updates via wireless networks EVERY time I start the car? Can I disable that popup or maneuver with the steering wheel buttons. I know - first world problems....Mike

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
These are pretty big rigs - what do you guys use to get up on top and for the big S T R E T C H to get the entire hood - a step ladder or stool? Tried both and end up with no leverage, especially for polishing/waxing.

UNRELATED Q: DO I have to manually CLOSE the initial screen that tells me about the updates via wireless networks EVERY time I start the car? Can I disable that popup or maneuver with the steering wheel buttons. I know - first world problems....Mike

I'm 6'5" so I don't struggle much. When I load my Thule carrier, I run out the running boards to get a little extra reach.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Hate you guys! :) I have to use a stool to check the oil! The olde 5.4 V8 dipstick was accessible, but not this one. Unless I go upstairs and look out I can't tell what's on my roof so it rarely gets washed at other than a drive-thru wash.

-- Chuck

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Hate you guys! :) I have to use a stool to check the oil! The olde 5.4 V8 dipstick was accessible, but not this one. Unless I go upstairs and look out I can't tell what's on my roof so it rarely gets washed at other than a drive-thru wash.

-- Chuck
Maybe an Escape suits you better?:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Check your setting for automatic updates. I've never had the pop-up you describe, but I'm assuming its about the Wi-Fi update feature.

Try this (skip ahead to 3:25):